What to charge for this work?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny186

Reaction score
I was asked to paint five light posts which will also need to be sanded. Any idea of what to charge per post?
They're aluminum and about 8 ft tall. When I get home later I'll try to upload a pic.

What's your experience and level of efficiency?

I've gutted and rehabbed kitchens and bathrooms, electrical, plumbing, siding, trim work and landscaping and of course painting - my favorite (not;)

How long do you think it will take per pole? Are you paying for the paint and charging them? What do you think your time is worth?

Are you doing this for your mom or sister, a family friend, a neighbor, a friend of a friend or someone who cut you off on the on ramp coming home from work?

When I was a kid (12yo) an old guy that ran a beer distributor (How PA sells beer) talked me into ripping all the old wood siding off his building and promised I would be well taken care of when the job was done. Two days in the sun dirty dusty old splintered wood and I got it done. He came out with a 24 bottle case of old fashion ginger ale and told me it was all mine for doing a good job. I took it home and tried drinking it and it burned my throat it was so gingery. My old man asked me where it came from and how I got it and then he told me you got paid in a way money would never do and I was paid in education on how to not make a deal. For the next 50 years that lesson has stuck.

Now that I’m retired and if someone asked me to paint 5 poles and if I felt like doing it I would tell them it will take a good 8 hours to do with prep and prime and paint. I would charge them for the material plus an up charge for getting it of 2 hour so 10 hours times what I want to make per hour. Under the table and being old and slow and not really needing the money I would tell them 200 bucks.

Now you figure it out based on your needs.

PS: If she were cute and willing to help I would give her my senior citizen discount (oldog discount) of 100 bucks.

I'm a fitness trainer so she's a client of mine and I'll be nice and just say she's not in shape lol
Would you guys recommend a paint brush or spray paint? And what kind of sander would you use? TimeWise I'm guessing 45 to 60 Minutes per Pole.

Back