What to keep?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty

Flooring installer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
After my MILs passing we have '2007 Nissan Versa, 2006 Dodge Caravan, '85 Ford E 150 van, '95 Chevy Lumina APV for two drivers. My wife says, keep them all.

Sell them all and get one nice vehicle. Just my 2 cents. Cheaper on maintenance and insurance.

I'm a fine one to talk, I have an 88 Wrangler, a 2000 Grand Cherokee, a 01- F-350 and a MB GLK350 sitting in the garage...I need to purge some autos...

Need at least two, and my work truck gets lousy gas mileage.

I think it all depends on the condition and mileage. 2007 Nissan might be a keeper since it is the newest, but would have to see what condition it's in compared to the others. But, the older cars used to be built to last longer... I don't know in what year they started making them crappily. I think it was different for each company. But the chevys I had from the 80s were nothing but money sinks in terms of repairs-- and that was back in the late 80s /early 90s.

My wife is going to drive the Nissan, back and forth to school.(34 mpg). I am driving the Caravan, it will handle most of my work. (stow and go seats, 23 mpg) The Ford is my work van for big jobs and my project. (8-10 mpg) The Chevy is the odd-man-out.(it needs some work) But my wife wants me to keep it for now, and I have enough driveway space, even with my trailer.
Told my wife's sister to take their dad's 99 Ford pu. It is a worse gas hog than my van.

Need at least two, and my work truck gets lousy gas mileage.

Getting rid of 2 may save you enough money ( especially insurance , registration , etc. to buy a fair amount of gas ? Start number crunching .

Best of luck , :)

wyr
God bless

I have the same issue. These are my cars and the only one on its way out is the suburban but only in partial trade for my father in laws jeep

2016 ram 1500 ecodiesel (wife's truck)
2015 ram 3500 dually diesel (My work truck)
2007 ram 2500 diesel (My hunting and daily driver)
2006 dodge charger (My project)
2001 suburban (payment for money owed)
1990 jeep wrangled (My toy)
1985 jeep Cherokee (My inheritance from mom)

Got a few company trucks too but won't count those.

Think I am going to get the 95 Lumina fixed and give it to my stepson. Then we can quit taking him back and forth to work.

Back