what type of electric pump will we need?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgy2001

Reaction score
In rainy season, we need to pump out water over 10 feet wall to garden hose drainage. Prefer no priming is needed. Keep within few hours or half day. Typically around 500 gallons. We have access to electric outlet. What type of electric pump do we need? What power or hp or watts rating? Any recommendations? Thank you.

Your situation is not explained very well?

Are you pumping water out of your basement ?
Are you pumping water out of your back yard ?
Where are you located ? - Does it freeze in winter ?

With a 10' head & no check valve, a 1/6 hp pump will give you 20 GPM.
You can probably use a pond pump but check its pump curve to make sure it can pump to 10'.
With a check valve, these values go slightly higher.

Our typical rainfall is 1"/week & one time we had 4"/hour for a short time.

Also, what is the rating of the breaker controlling the recep. and what other load does it feed?

My BIL used a sump pump immersed in a creek to keep his pond filled in dry weather. IIRC it could pump 3500 GPH. He ran 1.5" above ground and put a hose bib by where he parked his truck only to find that sump pumps don't provide any head.

20 GPM is 600 GPH pump. Where can we get this 1/6 HP pump? Does it has garden hose connector? Is it Self-Priming?
We can raise the pump using wheelbarrow & crate for around 4 ft. to the bottom of this 10' wall.
Prefer not to submerge any electric cable into water over the wall. Thanks.

Prefer not to submerge any electric cable into water over the wall.
This considerably narrows your options, some pump motor cords are designed for submersion & you can always use a GFCI for small motors.

Pump motors above the water level wobble due to conservation of momentum.
For a demo, hook an uninstalled starter motor on the ground to the battery with jumper cables & stand back.

Garden hose flow 10 to 15 GPM. That is 900 GPH motor. Are we looking at around 1HP motor? Should we search for " self priming transfer pump" to cover most options?

I got a submersible pump from Harbor Freight and it can drain my pool in about 10 hours. I think it was $39 pre-covid pricing, so it's probably $400 now, at Post-Biden pricing.

1 Hp @ 11' head will give you about 110 GPM & take approx 6A @ 120v.
You may get short cycling with a pump this large.

What is your catchment area? One acre?

For a 1000 sf catchment area, to keep up with a 1"/hr rainfall rate, you'd need to drain 10 GPM.
With a 10' head & no check valve, 1/12 HP will just do it.

Typically, we have around 500 gallons to pump out, from 10 ft low. Submersible pump may be better for this job (self priming is critical).

We want to solicate your opinions on this pump? 925 GPH. Our worry on the pump priming seems to require at every start.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082HJXCXS/
EXTRAUP Stainless Steel Electronic Portable Shallow Well Pump Booster Pump Lawn Sprinkling Pump Home Garden Water Pump (1.6HP)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082HJXCXS/
Looks like it comes with a foot valve and priming instructions. it will not shut off so you will have to be there to watch the level. and then next time you use it prime it again.

"next time you use it prime it again."

How long does the foot valve hold water?

In any case you need a float level switch.
If this is a high-risk situation you may also get an audible water level alarm.
Zero risk is not practical.
"Zero risk bias relates to our preference for absolute certainty. We tend to opt for situations where we can completely eliminate risk, seeking solace in the figure of 0%, over alternatives that may actually offer greater risk reduction."

Do we see any alternative pump that can suck water up from at least 7 feet? Is this good choice for other pumping functions around the house?

33' max for a pump. Not a Centrifugal pump, probably Positive Displacement, I'd have to look it up.

I'm surprised this thread does not seem to be converging on a solution. :(

I own this one and it works just fine . It can pump 790 gallons per hour with a discharge height of 10 feet. 950 gallons at 0 . It is 1/6 hp and has a garden hose connection. Although I bought this at Ace, you can probably find a similar on for less .

< Back / Plumbing / Pumps and Pump Parts / Utility Pumps

image-1

image-2

Roll over image to Zoom

Ace 1/6 HP 950 gph Thermoplastic Switchless AC Utility Pump
Item #40003| Mfr #TSC160-APL

(5)Write Review
$84.99

Estimated Ace Logo

See Details
Estimated Points Earned: 849

Add To Cart Add To Wish List
Pickup In Store Logo

Product Overview
Ace Brand 1/6 hp TSC160 is a submersible portable utility pump designed to make water moving tasks easier. Typical applications include removing standing water, draining tanks and aquariums, emptying clogged sinks and tubs and boosting water pressure.
  • Assembled in the us with foreign and domestic parts
  • For removing water where high lift is needed from flooded basements, boats, stock tanks
  • 3/4 in. thermoplastic garden hose adapter at discharge

SpecificationsRatings & ReviewsEasy Returns

I have a 1/6 hp pump like this, 20% efficient in converting input watts into lifting water to some height at some GPM. It comes in handy for draining the pond B4 winter.
Our sump is almost always bone dry but I have it as a standby since our first sumpump rusted up.

"Switchless" implies some advantage for the buyer. It proly means the Maker traded off some other internal detail or quality that the buyer may or may not need.
As to boosting water pressure it may give you 8 more PSI.

Last edited:
Back