What would be the best way to insulate this ceiling?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68bucks

Reaction score
So I'm putting up steel panels for the ceiling in my shop. It's a 12' ceiling and there is an walk up attic. My plan was to put up the panels then blow. In something. As I've started I'm having doubts. I'm concerned about getting insulation in the area under the attic floor and I have recessed lights and don't think I want to bury those. They are fluorescent converted to led. They are the type that is meant to hang in a suspended ceiling. I mounted them between the trusses. The price was right, free, and they were brand new. I attached a couple pics looking up. Any thoughts?

20211011_085135.jpg20211011_085130.jpg20211011_085119.jpg

I've never done a project like that but, if it were me, I'd use fiberglass insulation with paper backing facing so that I could staple the paper backing to the joists. That would hold the insulation in place so that I could then put drywall, or the steel panels in your case, over them. The insulation would just go to the lights, but not over them.

I've heard that despite LED lights generating very little heat, the LEDs don't deal with heat well at all, so mounting them in a closed space and basically sealing them might not well tolerated...

Where are you located? What is the celling in the attic, do you want to just insulate that? How do you plan to heat the space - does it work better for your HVAC to handle a larger area (including the attic) than a smaller one that would lead to a lot of short-cycling?

I'm in NW Ohio. The attic is just open trusses. They are attic trusses so there is a floor down the middle but it's open above that. I don't plan to heat the attic at all. I have an outdoor forced air wood burner to heat with. When I finish the ceiling I will hang a propane shop heater to use for keeping the space above freezing and to heat up quickly until the fire gets going.

Back