What's going with my brick here?!?!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
Hello again everyone. Quick question about some deterioration in my brick veneer. See pic. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why this is happening to my brick veneer seems to be cracking and slightly deteriorating, more so at the mortar I'd say. The area in question is bottom area of my front porch. In front of actual step and off to the side of step in front of landscaping bed. The porch has a long, covered eve above it so not sure why water is giving me trouble in this area. The step and segment of walkway that is in front of step needs mud jacking because it holds water puddles up quite a bit BUT not sure why even an area in front of landscaping bed has the brick deterioration as well unless that water got below the entire area and is causing some crumbling under the whole porch? No visible cracks on top of porch slab though. Take a look at these pics tell me what you think could be going on or are these two separate issues between the puddling/mud jacking and the cracking brick along that entire portion.

Attachments

• IMG_7177.PNG
    IMG_7177.PNG
    269.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7178.PNG
    IMG_7178.PNG
    241.5 KB · Views: 28
You need a picture closer up on the problem. I can't see any issue in the pictures posted.
If you are in a freeze zone it is likely water penetration and freeze thaw damage.

IMG_7214.JPG IMG_7215.JPG IMG_7216.JPG IMG_7217.JPG IMG_7218.JPG IMG_7219.JPG IMG_7221.JPG
You need a picture closer up on the problem. I can't see any issue in the pictures posted.
If you are in a freeze zone it is likely water penetration and freeze thaw damage.
Here's some better pics! I didn't even realize the "crumbling" or cracking is almost all way around the porch!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Water damage. Looks like water is getting into the brick and freezing. The freezing water expands and blows the bricks apart.

Water damage. Looks like water is getting into the brick and freezing. The freezing water expands and blows the bricks apart.
Ok thanks. Is this brick repairable and if so, what countermeasures can i take here to prevent further damage??

Ok thanks. Is this brick repairable and if so, what countermeasures can i take here to prevent further damage??
caulk the cracks in the deck, clean seal the concrete. Check the bottom of the concrete, if it comes to a point, that is drip edge, if it just goes back level to the brick, lay a strip of caulk under the bottom edge to create a drip edge.

caulk the cracks in the deck, clean seal the concrete. Check the bottom of the concrete, if it comes to a point, that is drip edge, if it just goes back level to the brick, lay a strip of caulk under the bottom edge to create a drip edge.

Awesome thanks for the info and videos I'll check them out. Thanks again!

Back