What's the most frustrating aspect of home service/improvement projects?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamdan

Reaction score
Of this list, what would you say is the most frustrating when it comes to home improvement? (List top 3 worst)
  • Finding contractors
  • Making sure contractors don’t cheat me
  • Choosing between multiple offers
  • Managing the process
  • Finding good loan financing options
  • Taking advantage of rebates/tax credits
  • Finding green/sustainable options
  • Getting permits/approvals
  • Determining whether green/sustainable options are worth the investment
Let me know if I've missed a major one!

For DIY projects while you're living in the house.

1. Getting stuff out of the way
2. Keeping the mess of construction contained
3. The time required while working full time

I've been finishing my basement for the last year or so. Fortunately I can close the basement door and forget about it for a few days. Getting all the stuff out of the way was a major stumbling block for doing the project. I have it down to mostly tools required for the job and a few other things I can easily move. Getting to that point took me quite a while.

I'd like to at some point update the kitchen and master bath. Not sure I want to live through that and will likely hire both out.

There's a way to make polls on this site. Then again, there probably isn't enough of a readership for the resulting numbers to be interesting or useful.

Anyway, I take your question to be about instances where we're hiring someone to do work on our homes rather than DIYing. For me it's:

1. Finding someone who is honest and reliable
2. Finding someone who can perform the service in a timely fashion
3. Hating that the needed work isn't something I have the time, skills, or tools to do on my own

And actually these are in backward order.

Back