Whats this?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onion69420

Reaction score
I had a flanged electric outlet rip through the drywall in my bathroom. I removed the drywall so I cam install 2 new non flanged outlets and rewire them.
Anyways I'm a bit confused. It appears to me that there are 2 hot lines going into the outlet on the left, a white romex and a larger black cable. I think the 2 romex cables on the left are going to the lights and fan that the switches control. Also if u zoom in it looks like some of the white insulation has turned brown, maybe a burn from arcing?
Below this switch panel is a double outlet receptacle.20220312_143601.jpg

Looks like you have cables from 4 different eras from early 1900s to modern times.

Those blank holes need some sort of clamps on them. When you get the new box I would get a deep plastic one and a couple new switches at minimum.

The paper wrap on the old wires will turn brown with age and should be trimmed back.

...It appears to me that there are 2 hot lines going into the outlet ...
It is possible that you have two different circuits going into this box. Do you have a multimeter to check?
If not get yourself one at a big box store. They are inexpensive. You have to determine if you have two separate circuits feeding this box before you hook up anything. Before you disconnect the wires from the switches shut off the breaker/s to this box. Pull the switches from the box. Do not remove wires. Take good clear pictures of the switches to see where the wires are coming from and where they are going on the switches. Make note on a piece of paper also. Determine if you do have more than one circuit.

Once you have done this post a few pictures here and we can help you further. Right now there is not much we can work off of especially if more than one circuit is involved with this box.

Rip that box out. Buy the below items plus two switches and redo that disaster.
Romex connectors
4x4 metal box
Raised plaster ring

I have an electrician coming out today. I can't figure what's going on here and not taking any chances. I will let u know what he says

You could easily have two or three circuits in that box.
The switches might be fed by one or two breakers.
The outlets below could be a different circuit.
And another circuit might just be passing through, going on to another box down the line.

Back