Quantcast

What's your Temp?

Help Support House Repair Talk:

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Reaction score
You know, there's a invention for the roof snow issue.

Yep I have a version of that hanging inside my garage. He bought them or they came with the roofing material and the Amish guy and I had a long talk about if I wanted them or not. we get so dang much snow some winters and with a full two stories and a 11/12 pitch I debated did I want 3-4 foot of snow on the house or have it slide off every foot or so. We don’t have gutters and if I ever got too worried I could open the attic door as opposed to getting out a ladder and risking my life. As it is it seems like right around a foot of snow it lets go. The one place I think next summer I will add them is where my side door is with a little deck where we come in all the time. There is a gutter there and when I’m grilling there mid winter and the snow lets lose it’s not a fun time. Other than that nothing gets hurt when the snow slides.

At work they built a learning center and it had a huge dining area with a steep pitch glass roof. I would see 4’ of snow and ice on that thing and wonder. One day I was in there and the ice and snow started sliding with about 300 people eating. It was like the Titanic going down. Everyone was screaming and diving under tables. Nothing happened except it all slid off into the landscaping. Good southern design there. :eek:

oldognewtrick

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score

Rusty

Flooring installer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score

Spicoli43

Reaction score
18 degrees this morning, no snow for the second year in a row. This time in 2019, I couldn't see my chain link fence due to the 2 feet and blizzard drift.

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Reaction score
Around 30 this morning. We haven't had any bitter cold yet sub zero. The lake is still mostly open so that makes for the potential for some snow if the wind and temp line up.

I have been watching a couple of active boys 2 & 3 a couple days a week and they have been enjoying uncle Bud taking them sledding. I finally taught them to pull the sled back up. :coffee:

68bucks

Reaction score
46 degrees here in N.W. Ohio on a date when it's often 20 below zero...
Dang Buzz I'm somewhere near you and my outdoor thermometer says 14 at 8:00 this morning and a low of 10 over night. Coldest we have had this year so far I think. Might even snow a bit this week. Probably still won't freeze the lake enough to ice fish.

BuzzLOL

Reaction score
Yeah, high of 46 one day, high of 27 the next... 34 predicted for Sunday... 39 for next Saturday, but that's a week away and could easily change... Great Lake Erie may not freeze enough to walk on... open water moisture can produce several feet of Lake Effect snow for Cleveland Ohio, Erie Pa, Buffalo New York

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Currently 68* here. Way too warm for this time of year. Makes me start looking over my shoulder to see if there is a tornado in the background. Fortunately, the forecast is for gradual decline in the high temps, and not a drastic sharp drop.