What's your Temp?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
April 17 two days after the day the state makes us remove our winter tires. We are still going for that record.

Thought you guys would like to see my forsythia bush in full bloom out the back window and the forest across the street from our front window all spring-like.

Looks like a B&W movie out there. View attachment 23548View attachment 23549
We're so happy for you...

We're so happy for you...

It’s bad enough being self-quarantined or whatever this is staying away from folks thing we are doing. I just dawned my harbor freight dust mask and went to Wally World for my weekly visit for eggs and milk and a few other things that don’t last on the shelf. Now our Governor Tom Wolf made a new rule earlier this week that to shop or work you need a mask. OK I guess that sounds good and they show us on TV a mask can be the sleeve cut out of an old tee shirt. So lets do this. No wait the rule goes into affect this Sunday. If it’s a good idea why take a week thinking about it everyone in the state has an old tee shirt. So I go into Wally World with my dust mask and the greeter with no mask again says hi and counts me in. then I start shopping and see a family of 5 mom dad and 3 kids one a snotty nose 2 year old all shopping together (no masks) can’t the mom or the dad shop and the other 4 stay home. Only 2 Wally employees in the whole store with any kind of mask and about 40% of the people shopping with some kind of a mask. I saw 3 people with masks but only over the mouth with nose sticking out. I saw a young couple shopping arm in arm she was masked up like she was serious about it and he had no mask. I’m thinking what’s that about. I start wondering if maybe Wally Mart doesn’t have masks for the workers so I go back to the tool section and they have masks just like mine hanging in bags of 20. Who knows if they work but they work as good as a tee shirt. On TV our County Executive has a 1 hour Covid19 show every day and she says repeatedly you don’t wear a mask to protect yourself you wear it to protect others. So I started thinking about that and I popped my dust mask inside out so now it’s protecting me. Right? Ok I get my stuff and go to check out and the 2 girls working both have no masks so I pick the cutest one and and she says hi and I say “stick em up”. She ways “what” I said never mind its hard to talk with a dust mask. I then notice a Plexiglas divider between her and I. no doubt Wally spent millions getting these things built and installed. Only problem they are only about 18” wide and attached to the credit card thing. I only spent 20 seconds there and about 5 minutes down at the wheel thing where the bag are getting put in my cart face to face with the girl who is seeing 100s of people and has no mask or gloves on and could care less, until the very last second when she handed me my recite and she acted like if I got within a foot of her fingers she would die. Then I leave the store the greeter counts me out and then strikes up a conversation about all the snow that’s coming down.

Now I’m back home hunkered down again for another week.

I started a new project out in the garage last week to stay busy when it wasn’t so cold. I’m not ready to disclose what it is yet but it is one of a kind and will go with my new JD tractor if summer ever gets here. All I will say it is only a project an old retired codger could get away with making.

Stay tuned.

I too went to Wal-Mart today. Had to get some bug and tick spray for my hunting clothes. Turkeys seasons open and social distancing out in the great outdoors is a great way to get some clean Air and clear your mind. I chuckled when walking to the sporting good section about half the idiots with masks covering their mouth but not their nose.
Saw my neighbor out in the yard today, said he is just getting over the Wuhan and has done the 14 day isolation. Thought it was going to kick his butt. Needless to say, we maintained a 20 foot distance.

I too went to Wal-Mart today. Had to get some bug and tick spray for my hunting clothes. Turkeys seasons open and social distancing out in the great outdoors is a great way to get some clean Air and clear your mind. I chuckled when walking to the sporting good section about half the idiots with masks covering their mouth but not their nose.
Saw my neighbor out in the yard today, said he is just getting over the Wuhan and has done the 14 day isolation. Thought it was going to kick his butt. Needless to say, we maintained a 20 foot distance.

Well worth the trip. The Lyme Disease is more likely to kill you than the covid19 and no one talks about that hardly. Even though our winter is stretching out we never got the super cold that kills these bugs. We had a warm day last week and I already saw mosquitoes. The deer ticks are going to be bad.

Starting Monday Walmart is going to require all workers to wear face coverings and suggest that customers also wear them. my wife is in management at our local store. On a side note I mowed Tuesday. And we got 5 inches of snow on Thursday with the high of 33 and today it is going to be around 60.

Starting Monday Walmart is going to require all workers to wear face coverings and suggest that customers also wear them. my wife is in management at our local store. On a side note I mowed Tuesday. And we got 5 inches of snow on Thursday with the high of 33 and today it is going to be around 60.

That’s good to hear about walmart starting here tomorrow everyone has to wear them also.

I haven’t mowed yet but I wanted to. I have a neighbor that calls it drawing first blood and when I mow he gets on facebook being funny telling the world I jumped the gun. This year it will be up to my knees if he doesn’t go first. Haha.

Between yesterday and last night we got 5” also. It was beautiful with the sun coming up this morning, but enough is enough. IMG_0204.jpg

Yup the weather here in northeast PA is wacky also. I think it has snowed more in the past week then it has all winter - enough is enough already. Bud I am sure you get a lot of "lake affect" snow in Erie. My concern is that things are starting to bloom and with snow or ice falling on the blooms and the cold weather it will kill all new plant life. We have a lot of crab apple trees in this area and the deer rely on them for much of their food. A few years back the trees bloomed and we got a day or two of very cold weather and snow and it killed all the blooms so later in the season there were hardly any crab apples for the deer.

I live on a dead end street and only one neighbor to one side of me and one across the street. I get deer, bear and turkey on our back yard all the time. Problem is the bear are getting too brave and walk across our yard in the middle of the day while we are in the yard. One walked into our basement while we were in there and while my partner was reaching down into the trunk of his car to get something he felt something brush up against his leg behind him. He thought it was our pitbull but was a bear wondering by.

It seems it went from Spring back to Winter again now.

Yup the weather here in northeast PA is wacky also. I think it has snowed more in the past week then it has all winter - enough is enough already. Bud I am sure you get a lot of "lake affect" snow in Erie. My concern is that things are starting to bloom and with snow or ice falling on the blooms and the cold weather it will kill all new plant life. We have a lot of crab apple trees in this area and the deer rely on them for much of their food. A few years back the trees bloomed and we got a day or two of very cold weather and snow and it killed all the blooms so later in the season there were hardly any crab apples for the deer.

I live on a dead end street and only one neighbor to one side of me and one across the street. I get deer, bear and turkey on our back yard all the time. Problem is the bear are getting too brave and walk across our yard in the middle of the day while we are in the yard. One walked into our basement while we were in there and while my partner was reaching down into the trunk of his car to get something he felt something brush up against his leg behind him. He thought it was our pitbull but was a bear wondering by.

It seems it went from Spring back to Winter again now.
Today is starting to look like spring again. Hope it is here the Daffodils and my Rhubarb have been buried in snow twice now and each time they look no worse for it. my crab apple tree hasn’t really popped yet but some have.

We have all the same critters as you do including the bear. He was getting pretty brave coming into the side yard but no close encounters as of yet. That was two years ago and folks didn’t see him much last year. The deer have been doing a good job trimming my shrubs around the house they like the new growth and nip it off clean. Their teeth must me as sharp as a razor. Holly almost got our thanksgiving turkey with her car last week was a too close for comfort fly by.

Today I’m hoping it warm enough to pull the pump out of the hot tub. I nursed a leaking pump all winter and it is time to figure out what I need to buy. Called the place that fixes them and told them to come out and change the wet end and they said oh we just do a whole new pump and gave me some $800 price and I said OH NO. The motor looks and works like brand new. The pump is way overpriced and is still only 80 bucks and a couple hours labor. So as always its DIY.

I've cut grass 4 times already, hostas are bloomed out, red bud in front yard has bloomed and started to show leaves, pollen is wacky and I hope y'all enjoy your cooler weather cause hot- humid lasts a long time in the mid-south.

98.6 degrees. Wait-what? This Covid crap really changes ones thought process.

Just a beautiful spring day today. Hostas are breaking thru the little snow left. Got my hot tub pump out. Only a little cursing and some skinned knuckles. When I bought the tub I thought that’s it with cheap junk I read up and bought the cream of the crop highest rated best revied and most expensive. Now I’m taking it apart and it’s the same crappy methods and materials everything else is these days.

98.6 is mighty warm. We break zero a lot more in a year than we break 100.

Has anyone thought of buying a bluetooth thermometer and measuring their temp daily? That way you could graph it over time and see if there's an abnormal spike one day. Otherwise there's not much of a baseline to go off of

Standard baseline for human body temperature is 98.6 degrees.

The problem with covid-19 is that you can be asymptomatic but contagious for up to a couple of weeks before you start seeing symptoms like fever. If you've been in stores or going to work all that time, you could have spread it to many other people.

Bluetooth or just a regular thermometer would be appropriate. High tech does not necessarily make it any better or more effective. Checking frequently is advised, especially if you have to go out in public often

Was 30 f here at 7 am and now at 3pm it is 70 f.

Has anyone thought of buying a bluetooth thermometer and measuring their temp daily? That way you could graph it over time and see if there's an abnormal spike one day. Otherwise there's not much of a baseline to go off of
Not really sure if you are thinking about body temp or outside temp from this message, but it's funny (in an ironic sort of way) that the response was assuming body temp due to covid19.
Well, in any case, thanks to bud for putting it back on track.

Any kind of temp or anything else is fine with me. Just as long as we are all talking about the stuff that matters.

It was spitting snow all day yesterday and put a hold on my spring lawn work. Woke up this morning to 30f and an inch of new snow. Here are a couple pictures of my mothers day tulips filled with snow. may 9 2020 -1.jpgmay 9 2020 -2.jpg

Back