What's your Temp?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to pack extra clothes... near 80... then near 20...
Only 34 in late afternoon...

April 21 2021 mowed the grass for the first time this week all the bushes are bloomed out and the spring flowers are up. So it was nice to wake up this morning to a couple inches of fresh snow and sub freezing temps.

Last week they showed up with a couple bus loads of undocumented kids from down south that will be joining our community so they were pretty excited I bet to see their first PA snow fall.

No canoe riding today. IMG_1192.jpgIMG_1194.jpg

2 - 3" of snow on grass and roofs here in N.W.Ohio, but streets, sidewalks, and driveways just wet, too warm to sustain snow... 30 last night, 25 predicted for tonite... sunny and 45 today should melt all the snow...

Well another heavy wet couple more inches of snow over night with some cold temps.

As a future boater / canoeist I have been watching our river water temps in French Creek. It happens the town I live in is one of the measuring points and they give water temp, rainfall or snow and water depth. Those 3 give a good indication of where and when I will want to be on the river.

Over the last week the water temp was up to 59F on Apr 15 and now on Apr 22 is 45F. Having been a swimmer in Lake Erie my whole life and as a kid getting wet early every year I know I don’t want to be in 59F water and really not 45F water as that could be life threatening.

Mid week when the air temp was about 70F I see the water was below 50F and I saw two girls go past in cheap sit in kayaks having a good old time sunbathing and paddling along. This time of year they could easily be the only 2 on the water for miles.

I’m sure in their minds they didn’t have a thing to worry about and the likelihood of flipping is pretty slim with the gentle flow, but all the same I thought it risky.

Tuesday night's snow was gone by Wednesday afternoon if sun got to it... 28 degrees Wednesday night but no more snow... 34 degrees at Port Clinton on Lake Erie as the lake water kept it warmer there... but will also be cooler on warm days for now... predicting 81 for next Tuesday... keep parkas and bathing suits handy... LOL!

Tuesday night's snow was gone by Wednesday afternoon if sun got to it... 28 degrees Wednesday night but no more snow... 34 degrees at Port Clinton on Lake Erie as the lake water kept it warmer there... but will also be cooler on warm days for now... predicting 81 for next Tuesday... keep parkas and bathing suits handy... LOL!
I had an aunt and uncle that lived in Port Clinton on my mom's side. My dad's sister used to own a bar in Oak Harbor. It was the old Limestone Tavern. I remember it from 60 years ago, playing on the shuffle board game.

Well Bud, how goes the snow race 2021?
We are about 2’ below normal this year and in about 20th place as of now. We really only had one snow fall and I had about a foot of slush in the end of the driveway to get rid of. The new old cub low boy did a good job.

Green Christmas this year and I loaded the gifts in the car yesterday and glad I did because it is pouring rain this morning.

Hope you found something good in your stocking. 🧦

Only thing in my stocking was lint. It's cloudy, windy and 70 in middle Tennessee today. Kids and grandkids will be here in a bit for our traditional family breakfast, guess I better get busy cooking.

Only thing in my stocking was lint. It's cloudy, windy and 70 in middle Tennessee today. Kids and grandkids will be here in a bit for our traditional family breakfast, guess I better get busy cooking.
Have a good day with the kids. We are heading to her brothers house and letting them do the cooking and watch the kids have sensory overload opening gifts.

70 sounds very nice it is in the low 40s here and the creek is raising. :coffee:

No white Christmas here in N.W. Ohio this year... predicted 52 for yesterday but got 56... about same here today for Christmas...

Hey Bud - on the opposite end of Penn where I am same kind of story with the snow or lack of it this year so far. Hopefully it stays this way. Had about 3/4" of snow on Thursday. The rain melted it quickly.

I really prepared for the snow this year. I bought a used large 2 stage snow thrower that runs pretty good. Figures, since I bought it not nearly as much snow as the years I did not have it - go figure.

I also redid my entire roof this past August. Rip it right down to the rafters. New OSB, shingles you name it. I had the contractor I used to do electrical work for do the roof and he did a great job. New fascia and soffit, new seamless gutters and even heat tape on the edges of the roof and in the gutters and downspouts. I'm prepared this winter.

Merry Christmas to all. To me just another day. Don't celebrate the holidays.
Have a good New Year also.

If you need de-icing cables in the gutters and roof edge, what you really need is a pro to assess the insulation and venting in the attic.
The roof edge is getting too warm.

Yes, Jeff I am aware of the fact that I have a lack of insulation in the attic and I am just curing the symptoms instead of the cause. I just can't afford yet the high cost of insulation. Maybe within the next couple of years.

When you do it, I recommend fiberglass batts, not blown in fiberglass or cellulose.
You can taper them down as you reach the soffits.
And of course, have the styrofoam channels installed, that maintain an airflow at the bottom of the rafters, to allow intake air up from the soffits.
Too often, the soffits get filled up, and the chimney effect is blocked.
You can also have the lower portions of the rafter spaces spray foamed, but it is not cheap.

We had only two ice dams in two decades so I'm for leaving it as it is, but we're getting bids on new gutters. Six calls to contractors didn't work so I made up a list of a dozen more to call on Monday.
One time I had to call 17 plumbers to get just 5 valid bids. :(

Zero degrees as I type, supposed to be -12 tomorrow this time. December is usually in the 20's, it doesn't get into the -40 or -50 with wind until February or so, which is called the Month of binging stuff on TV because there is no such thing as going outside.

Back