What's your Temp?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's warm here but I still don't want to do my curbside [overdue] oil changes. Maybe in March.

I could not take that cold Spicoli43. I used to go to Chicago in January to the Houseware's Show. Burrr!! at McCormick Place right on the lake. One year it was minus 74 degrees. They cancelled school and other things. Good thing we were at the Ritz Carlton which has everything you need when you have to stay inside.

I could not take that cold Spicoli43. I used to go to Chicago in January to the Houseware's Show. Burrr!! at McCormick Place right on the lake. One year it was minus 74 degrees. They cancelled school and other things. Good thing we were at the Ritz Carlton which has everything you need when you have to stay inside.

It's just like everything else, you get used to it. It's just cabin fever... People stock up on "their things" like canned goods or ingredients to make bread etc. before February. I hardly ever drink, but that's our Professional sport here. The real crazy people drive their trucks out on the lake and Ice fish, but they have heated tents...

I think people in Arizona are crazy, I HATE heat like that. It is good for the aching joints though. I wouldn't be able to afford the AC bill.

"What is the coldest it has been in North Dakota?
-60° F
Subzero temperatures average about 40 to 70 days a year across North Dakota. The lowest temperature ever recorded was -60° F at Parshall on February 15, 1936."

I only saw frostbite once at Elk Mountain, outside of Scranton.

Wow, I didn't think someone would do a "fact check" on what I said. Yes, it was probably windchill. It was back late 80s early 90s. I do remember hearing the news that morning stating the schools were closed because of the cold.

Wow, I didn't think someone would do a "fact check" on what I said. Yes, it was probably windchill. It was back late 80s early 90s. I do remember hearing the news that morning stating the schools were closed because of the cold.
It turns out worldwide temp extremes have gone from -130F to +130F, way wider than I thought.
Everybody talks about fact checking but the only book I found on how to do it is
"unspun: finding facts in a world of disinformation".

We got our white Christmas a couple days late this year. Woke up to a nice snow covered morning and the sound of our neighbors snow blower. I couldn't figure out what he was doing as we only got 2" and they are calling for rain by tonight and warmer temps. I think he was just so ready to try out his blower. :coffee:

Unseasonably warm here in middle Tennessee. High 60's and low 50's overnite. Cloudy and a little breezy. We had the a/c on Christmas Day. You never know what you'll get weather wise around here. Thinking about getting the kayak out and hitting the lake and try and make a bass's jaw sore.

olddog - yup, I was thinking of buying a small rowboat and a trailer so I could go out and make a bass' jaw sore. Now is the time of year to buy a boat.

Back in the late 80s I owned a 30 footer Trojan, twin screw, fly bridge etc. I used to go out 25 minutes from where I had it docked in NJ at the time and was fishing for Blues. Blue fish give a good hard fight. :thumb: Those were the days. Just outside Sandy Hook Point NJ. It was kewl while I was out in the boat in the ocean and the "Concord" would come overhead very low in its approach to JFK International Airport. You could just about reach up and touch it.

For future reference I would assume your hot water tank is just another zone on your whole house boiler system. So if you ever do lose hot water your problems will be isolated to that one zone. You will know the boiler is working so it will ether be the valve controlling that zone is staying shut or the Tstat /sensor is not telling the valve to open.

I had a friend with hot water heating and he ran a zone to his swimming pool and used his house heating system to heat his pool in the summer. It worked pretty good.

I guess 28 and 42 ain't as bad as I thought it was today...
It's up to -5 now. I told a friend I would help them change a battery in their car today and i just told them we need to wait a couple days. 42 sounds pretty nice shorts and tee shirt weather.

20 balmy degrees now. It's the Heatwave before February, where it's typically in the negative, with 2019 never hitting Zero the whole Month.

Cabin Fever

Yay.

-17.5 F here when I got up.
Is that wind chill or actual temp?
Around 0 - 1 F last couple nights here in N. W. Ohio USA... jumped up to balmy 23 F now just after Noon... supposed to soar on up to 28 today this afternoon... then back colder a few days... but back up to warmish 42 F Tuesday Feb. 1st... some years we're -15 - -20 F at this time, so I'm not complaining...
I remember back in 1979, winter strangely abruptly ended mid February and went into spring/summer warmth... hadn't been much snow earlier... everyone who bought a snow plow after our "Blizzard of 1978" expecting to make big money plowing snow in 1979 discovered they had vehicle payments, but no snow plowing income...

Last edited:
Is that wind chill or actual temp?
Around 0 - 1 F last couple nights here in N. W. Ohio USA... jumped up to balmy 23 F now just after Noon... supposed to soar on up to 28 today this afternoon... then back colder a few days... but back up to warmish 42 F Tuesday Feb. 1st...
I have an indoor outdoor on my kitchen window and the outdoor bulb is about an inch from the house so it sometimes has some effect of house heat loss or in the summer will read high when the sun sets on that side of the house. She went to work around the same time and confirmed it with her new KIAs reading.

We live in a funny area. Few years ago it was -27 when i left for work and quarter mile from home there was a rapid drop to -34. A couple places are always colder within 10 miles.

The gas meter reader stopped this morning and he said it was -12 at his house and i looked at the current temp after the sun had been up for 2 hours and it went up 40 degrees and it is still too cold. :coffee:

[QUOTE="bud16415, post: 266940, member: 30479" I have an indoor outdoor on my kitchen window and the outdoor bulb is about an inch from the house so it sometimes has some effect of house heat loss [/QUOTE]
Yeah, I put a mercury thermometer on the front door frame of my house but I think house heat passing through the wood is making it read 8 - 10 degrees too high when it's supposed to be around 0 outside... guess I'll move it to the backside of one of the front porch roof columns and still out of direct sun... Maybe stand if off from the column an inch or so...

Back