What's your Temp?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supposed to be 70 today, supposed to snow Tuesday. I can rake out bad areas of the lawn, but can't put seed / straw down until... ???
Seed and fertilize in the fall. Grass establishes its root system over the cool months. Seeding now will require constant watering during the heat stress time on your lawn.

Supposed to be 70 today, supposed to snow Tuesday. I can rake out bad areas of the lawn, but can't put seed / straw down until... ???
Grass needs warm days and cool nights above 50f to take off best IMO.

Seed and fertilize in the fall. Grass establishes its root system over the cool months. Seeding now will require constant watering during the heat stress time on your lawn.

It's Spring or Fall in MT, but Spring isn't really official until late April at the earliest. The nurseries don't open until Mid May, and the temp doesn't stay above 40 until then usually. I have about a Month to rake everything out / till and get a pile of dirt delivered so I can do all the new grass in one day.

Planting in the spring up north is fine when temps are correct, cover the seed with a layer of straw is what I do after racking it in. the straw at first will keep the birds out of it and then when it gets sun it will have a little shade mixed in. I don’t put it on heavy and I don’t rake it off I just let the grass come up thru it and eventually mow over it. If you get some areas to not catch I would reseed those in the fall. A lot of seed has a annual ryegrass mixed in. That comes up first and holds the soil and provides shade and will go away after one season.

Planting in the spring up north is fine when temps are correct, cover the seed with a layer of straw is what I do after racking it in. the straw at first will keep the birds out of it and then when it gets sun it will have a little shade mixed in. I don’t put it on heavy and I don’t rake it off I just let the grass come up thru it and eventually mow over it. If you get some areas to not catch I would reseed those in the fall. A lot of seed has a annual ryegrass mixed in. That comes up first and holds the soil and provides shade and will go away after one season.

I have not had luck with just seeding here, but have not used straw before. Whenever I have put seed down, they are little beacons to all the birds.

I have not had luck with just seeding here, but have not used straw before. Whenever I have put seed down, they are little beacons to all the birds.
For best results I like to till the ground a couple inches deep and then rake it out a good chance to rake out surface stones as well. Then broadcast the seed and then rake the seed in to the soil lightly. It won’t all be covered but some will. Then I get bailed straw not hay as it has too many seeds in it break off a chunk of the bail and shake it on it will be sticking up about 6” and will keep the birds off. The biggest problem with straw is if you get a good wind it will all be down the street. If you have a hydro seed outfit that isn’t too expensive that’s the way to go.

I have to mark all the spots for tilling because of sprinkler lines, so that's the fun part of that. Wind here can go from nothing to 30 without warning, but they are actually pretty good at forecasting it.

My call will go out to hydro people if nothing DIY works.

19 Deg F and snow here this morning. Forecast calls for 14 deg tonite. Hey, it's March in NE OH. Football HOF city.

Got up to 95 today, first day past 73 or so. For some odd reason, I had no inclination to use the whole house AC, but was tempted to drag out the portable. If that's how it is all year, I'm good with it, the interior topped out at 75 so far. The power company owes me money right now on a sliding budget scale. If I use AC all summer, I owe them, then they owe me in the Winter when I don't use the massive amounts of AC. I just pay a set amount of $128 so I don't have to worry about that increasing.

Supposed to be back to 80's tomorrow with T-Storms and the 40's / 50's on Sunday and Monday.

90's one day and Snow the next... That's just how we roll in Montucky.

Was 100 here Wednesday, 50's last night, predicting 100 again for next Tuesday... abnormally high for June here... June is usually 50 - 79 for highs... then hotter in July and August... but lately milder than usual in July...
I'll keep my grass longish to hold moisture in the ground because rains are probably mostly over now for a couple three months

Sacramento forecast for tomorrow is 107. Seriously wish I had double pane windows instead of 1950s steel casement windows. Those suckers leak like a sieve.

The last time I was in Sacramento it was 108. That was around 2012 I think. Had the same temp I'm Rockhill, SC too only they had high humidity as well. It was way worse although I was also working in a hot plant on that trip. It was probably 130-140 in parts of the building.

They backed off a bit on the forecast... only 97 here now in N. W. Ohio... USA...

Ours backed off too; high of 105 expected. Very happy we don't have the humidity. Ours was ~30% this morning, still dropping toward a low of less than 10%! For the next week nighttime humidity expected to peak about 70-80% then drop to ~15% by late afternoon. Swamp coolers work really well.

The last couple rains predicted didn't happen... looks like we may be heading into usual mid summer dryness... glad I left the grass longish to protect itself, its roots, and help hold moisture in the ground...

Just heard a report in the UK that the highest temp ever has been reached in London at 104...

A WHOLE 104... I hope those Limeys can handle that EXTREME Heat!!!

Hope they have plenty of COLD TEA to ward off the insane RECORD BREAKING heat!!!

Being an island, the surrounding water temp usually keeps UK from getting too hot or too cold... but also gives plenty of rain/fog... I think they are about same Latitude as us in Ohio...
Same effect is supposed to keep Hawaii between 75 and 85 degrees F all the time... although, surprisingly, they do have snow on the mountain peaks...

Yeah, they are cooler also because they are high up... London lines up with Canada.

I'm just making fun of them because they are freaking out about it. I'm sure their Government is screaming "GLOBAL WARMING" because it has happened one whole time...

Hence my snarky remark about the Limeys and their Tea.

(Tesla) asked its customers in Texas not to charge their vehicle batteries during peak electricity usage times from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m., for the second time this year. The company said that would help ERCOT manage demand and avoid blackouts. Making matters worse for the electric distributor, the massive heat dome overhead has cut off the wind, halting electric generation from windmills. Wind power creates approximately 25% of the state’s electricity. -BrightSpot

It will be decades before everything to do with EV's is relevant. We will pause or reverse everything from 2024-2028 at least with a change in party, then....

That Blackout a couple of years ago for a week or whatever is the #2 reason I cut Texas from my destination list. #1 was a nice Tornado that came through the Lubbock area, which has seen another one since then.

Back