What's your Temp?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly what the temp is outside, but do know when I got up the house was 12 degrees Celcius... Think it's -10 today... and over Thursday and Friday to Saturday morning, We are supposed to get 20 - 30 centimetres of snow... Oh, Joy... Is it spring yet... (LoL)

Supposed to be 20 today, gotta go shopping before tomorrow which starts the Negatives... Probably won't break 0 until Friday with a low forecast at -25 for Tuesday, but that's before wind, so who knows.

Next Saturday forecast for 36 though, so that's normal T shirt weather. When you're outside in -25 to -35 for a couple of minutes, then outside for +36, you notice the 60 plus degree difference Bigly.

Yes, there's a reason the 4th biggest State has one of the lowest populations!

Got to 62 outside. Too chilly to go outside. Instead, mama decided today would be a great day for me to scrub the grout on her bathroom tile floor, them clean and reseal the grout. Come on, pray for warm weather for me!

32°F right now. For those of you in the frozen north be sure to let us know when you reach that magical minus point where °F and °C become the same.

32°F right now. For those of you in the frozen north be sure to let us know when you reach that magical minus point where °F and °C become the same.
Negative 40... February sometime, with wind.

Up North in Calgary, I believe it gets there naturally, but here is gets to maybe -30 by itself.

Temp with wind is -45 this morning, could continue all day. Christmas eve is supposed to be in the +40 range.

-45 really doesn't feel much different than -25, just like +130 doesn't feel much different than +110.

For those that live in a perfect weather atmosphere like Ecuador, now you know.

Well, this arctic blast that is coming down has hit Guntersville, AL. Woke up to 7F (-14C) and a thin blanket of snow on the ground. Around 6am, the power went out and we are on generator right now. It doesn’t take much to lose power here…a snow flake will do it.

It’s not supposed to get above freezing until Monday. It’s not the weather I expected for the South.

E20A13B0-F780-43B8-B19B-A09AC7237F7A.jpeg

Well, today's storm is supposed to be ugly for the 1st storm going thru... It's +7 right now, but feeling very damp, started snowing at about 6:30 last night... Then when I went to bed at about 3:30 this morning, it was pouring rain. This afternoon, the temp is supposed to plunge to -13 to -15... and then suppose to snow throughout till Saturday night... Well, guess we'll have to see how ugly it gets!

We are at 12f here in the great north of the USA and the arctic blast just reached us this morning. It is bringing with it a lot of snow as it crosses the still warm Great Lakes.

She ran to her gym this morning to get a last workout in before the Holiday and the weather locks us down for a white Christmas. I went out yesterday and made sure the tractor was gassed up and the battery charger was working and even aired up the tires a little.

It reminds me of when i was a kid every Christmas felt like this just hunkered down and enjoying family.

I was about 15 and my dad made a 4'x8' snow shovel out of a sheet of tough plastic coated 1/4" thick paneling he had by cutting two hand slots on each of the 4' sides. we were getting a blizzard and he called me outside to show me what he made. LOL talk about a workout. He told me the idea is to go out each hour and clear the 4-6" really fast and stay ahead of the storm. With that giant thing we could do the driveway in just a few minutes. We spent more time putting boots on. he put two nails in the garage wall and we hung the shovel on them. It was still there 25 years after my dad was gone and when my mom sold the house in her late 80s.

Me I'm going to find a few good movies to watch this weekend on out 110" projection home theater. Hopefully some taking place in the summer.

Merry Christmas all.

We are at 12f here in the great north of the USA and the arctic blast just reached us this morning. It is bringing with it a lot of snow as it crosses the still warm Great Lakes.

She ran to her gym this morning to get a last workout in before the Holiday and the weather locks us down for a white Christmas. I went out yesterday and made sure the tractor was gassed up and the battery charger was working and even aired up the tires a little.

Yeah, I was just asked to go and get the propane tank filled, so if the power does go out, we can still eat...
It reminds me of when i was a kid every Christmas felt like this just hunkered down and enjoying family.
Yes, I remember winters like this when I was a kid...But it's been a lot of years since we had storms like this one coming through...
I was about 15 and my dad made a 4'x8' snow shovel out of a sheet of tough plastic coated 1/4" thick paneling he had by cutting two hand slots on each of the 4' sides. we were getting a blizzard and he called me outside to show me what he made. LOL talk about a workout. He told me the idea is to go out each hour and clear the 4-6" really fast and stay ahead of the storm. With that giant thing we could do the driveway in just a few minutes. We spent more time putting boots on. he put two nails in the garage wall and we hung the shovel on them. It was still there 25 years after my dad was gone and when my mom sold the house in her late 80s.
That sounds cool...
Me I'm going to find a few good movies to watch this weekend on out 110" projection home theater. Hopefully some taking place in the summer.

I watched the new Top Gun there last night... Great movie
Merry Christmas all.

Same to YOU Buddy, wish YOU and your family the very best, and a wonderful Merry Christmas...

Yeah, I was just asked to go and get the propane tank filled, so if the power does go out, we can still eat...

Yes, I remember winters like this when I was a kid...But it's been a lot of years since we had storms like this one coming through...

That sounds cool...

I watched the new Top Gun there last night... Great movie

Same to YOU Buddy, wish YOU and your family the very best, and a wonderful Merry Christmas...
I bought the bluray Top Gun Maverick the other day. We have a RedBox that rents movies in front of the Dollar General. After a movie is out 1-2 weeks they have too many copies in the box and sell them for between 3-6 bucks. I picked it up for 5 bucks and they charge 3 to rent it. I watched it once but will again when her mom comes over tomorrow. I really enjoyed the movie. Just a good fun movie like they used to make them. The most impressive part of the whole movie was the extras when they explained how they actually shot the movie in real F18 and they even had that test plane built. The director said when that plane flew over the guard shack and lifted the roof off that wasn't planned but it looked so good they left it in.

My HT I built does the IMAX immersion pretty well and i have some really good sound in there and movies like that take advantage of the big subs. Lots of fun.

Yeah, I found it to be a great movie and the sound was wonderful...

I also watched another movie called the Wall, Have you ever seen that

Looks good will have to check it out.

Zero f now and wind chill -25f. only 4" snow so far.

We're up to 12F now with a -4 Wind Chill. Too cold for the south. We're trying to get our septic tank pumped but all the trucks have frozen valves because the South shuts down if a snow flake falls out of the sky.

Luckily, 12F is the coldest it is going to be from now until this storm is over. We're on a warming trend.

There was a wedding scheduled for either yesterday or today in the open chapel of my avatar. The entire wedding party from Florida (brrrr!).

We're up to 12F now with a -4 Wind Chill. Too cold for the south. We're trying to get our septic tank pumped but all the trucks have frozen valves because the South shuts down if a snow flake falls out of the sky.

Luckily, 12F is the coldest it is going to be from now until this storm is over. We're on a warming trend.
I have always said I would rather be in PA with 2’ of snow than SC with 2”.

We used to know how to handle it much better than we do now IMO. Lots of southern influences have moved in here. As a young man a K-mart parking lot was one huge 3 acre paved rectangle and at one end was a mountain of snow 30’ high come spring with shopping carts sticking out of it. Now a Wal-Mart has miles of curbed roadways and islands and trees and no where to put snow but has to have a 2 acre retention pond at the end that the plows can’t get to. They used to plow them with a pay loader and a 20’ bucket in a couple hours over night. Now it is dozens of pickups and skid steers and dump trucks.

Every corner now has curbing and islands and curb cuts for ADA access. And little cars hung up because everyone forgets they are there.

I go out on a bad day on some major roads where anyone without 4WD should be staying home and it is quite common to see someone in an electric wheelchair trying to get someplace. I don’t know if they are trying to get clobbered by a state plow truck or what. Just this last year with gas going up I have also been seeing people year round on fat tire e-bikes loaded down with shopping bags slip-sliding along.

Many years ago I lived in the city and being young it seemed like everyone needed help clearing snow. When I moved to the country small town America I offered to help neighbors and they all had 10 times more equipment than I have.

Back