When can i over seed my yard?

Discussion in 'Garden and Lawncare' started by tuffy, May 2, 2018.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. May 2, 2018 #1

tuffy

tuffy

tuffy

I have all ready put down the first application of turf builder with crab grass preventer. Do I need to Waite to over seed my yard now or will the fertilizer not hurt the seeds? Probably a dumb question I know!!!

2. May 2, 2018 #2

jeffmattero76

jeffmattero76

jeffmattero76

Crab grass preventer is a "pre-emergent" killer, meaning that it works by preventing germination of seeds. Weed seeds and grass seeds are all seeds. I believe it lasts for 6 - 8 weeks. Therefore, you have to wait until then to sow grass seed. The problem is that waiting period takes you into the heat of Summer. Grass seed doesn't like that heat for germination. If you can be patient, you should seed your lawn in the fall, soon after Labor Day. The weather is cooler, rain is more plentiful, and the soil is still warm.

Sparky617 likes this.
  3. May 5, 2018 #3

DepotProTom

DepotProTom

DepotProTom

4. May 5, 2018 #4

tuffy

tuffy

tuffy

Yes i realize that i grabbed the wrong bag of fertilizer. I stock up on it in the winter when it goes on sale i just grabbed crabgrass preventer instead of the starter it was an honest and dumb mistake we all make them. i have about 4 bags of the crabgrass preventer and 2 bags of the dandelion killer 3 bags of the just turf builder and 1 bag of the starter fertilizer and about 100 p0unds of Kentucky fescue . and due to lack of room they are all piled together accept for the grass seed. so you really have to look at what your grabbing ,which i didn't so my bad.

5. May 6, 2018 #5

slownsteady

slownsteady

slownsteady

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Follow Jeff's advice, it's the best practical answer for now. Don't try to put down seed until the fall. You can fertilize again with the dandelion stuff - as the bag recommends - and reseed in the fall. You might be surprised that the fertilizer will make your lawn look good without the extra seed.

tuffy likes this.
  6. May 7, 2018 #6

tuffy

tuffy

tuffy

I will take your advice and apply the dandelion fertilizer. and hope all goes well. thank you very much.

7. May 7, 2018 #7

greenlady0

greenlady0

greenlady0

greenlady0

When waiting till after Labor Day to overseed I would toss that bag of seed into a vegetable bin of a refrigerator for a week to give it a good chill...this will mimic the spring jumpstart you missed when you apply to the warm ground after Labor day. Remember to apply the seed starter fertilizer at the recommended time afterward.

slownsteady likes this.