When can i over seed my yard?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuffy

Reaction score
I have all ready put down the first application of turf builder with crab grass preventer. Do I need to Waite to over seed my yard now or will the fertilizer not hurt the seeds? Probably a dumb question I know!!!

I have all ready put down the first application of turf builder with crab grass preventer. Do I need to Waite to over seed my yard now or will the fertilizer not hurt the seeds? Probably a dumb question I know!!!
Crab grass preventer is a "pre-emergent" killer, meaning that it works by preventing germination of seeds. Weed seeds and grass seeds are all seeds. I believe it lasts for 6 - 8 weeks. Therefore, you have to wait until then to sow grass seed. The problem is that waiting period takes you into the heat of Summer. Grass seed doesn't like that heat for germination. If you can be patient, you should seed your lawn in the fall, soon after Labor Day. The weather is cooler, rain is more plentiful, and the soil is still warm.

I have all ready put down the first application of turf builder with crab grass preventer. Do I need to Waite to over seed my yard now or will the fertilizer not hurt the seeds? Probably a dumb question I know!!![/QUOTE
>>>>>>>
You should have asked this question before you put down the Turf Builder with Crabgrass Preventer. Even if you just chose to go with Turf Builder only, the formation of N.P.K. is NOT conductive to putting seed down. I find that the best method to grow new grass seed is the 4 step method. 1. Test the soils p.h. and add lime as needed. Add "Starter fertilizer" to the entire lawn area. 3. Add your grass seed ( Note... For a st lawn, use Perennial Rye grass. For a lawn that is going to be abused a lot[ kids playing on it], use a play seed or fescue and for a nice lawn, use bluegrass seed. Rule of thumb... no more that 3 seeds in an area the size of a quarter!
4. Cover your seed with something. I like to use a thin layer of good sphagnum peatmoss. The stuff from Canada seems to be usually better then the local stuff. Wet the seeds once a day and even twice a day if it was a sunny day. DON'T wash it away. Think of it as a thirsty child.
Best of luck to you and feel free to ask questions before you do something. We are here to help you... Depot Tom

Yes i realize that i grabbed the wrong bag of fertilizer. I stock up on it in the winter when it goes on sale i just grabbed crabgrass preventer instead of the starter it was an honest and dumb mistake we all make them. i have about 4 bags of the crabgrass preventer and 2 bags of the dandelion killer 3 bags of the just turf builder and 1 bag of the starter fertilizer and about 100 p0unds of Kentucky fescue . and due to lack of room they are all piled together accept for the grass seed. so you really have to look at what your grabbing ,which i didn't so my bad.

Follow Jeff's advice, it's the best practical answer for now. Don't try to put down seed until the fall. You can fertilize again with the dandelion stuff - as the bag recommends - and reseed in the fall. You might be surprised that the fertilizer will make your lawn look good without the extra seed.

Follow Jeff's advice, it's the best practical answer for now. Don't try to put down seed until the fall. You can fertilize again with the dandelion stuff - as the bag recommends - and reseed in the fall. You might be surprised that the fertilizer will make your lawn look good without the extra seed.
I will take your advice and apply the dandelion fertilizer. and hope all goes well. thank you very much.

I will take your advice and apply the dandelion fertilizer. and hope all goes well. thank you very much.
When waiting till after Labor Day to overseed I would toss that bag of seed into a vegetable bin of a refrigerator for a week to give it a good chill...this will mimic the spring jumpstart you missed when you apply to the warm ground after Labor day. Remember to apply the seed starter fertilizer at the recommended time afterward.

Back