When to replace system

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by falconbrother, Jan 16, 2018.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Jan 16, 2018 #1

falconbrother

falconbrother

falconbrother

I have been fixing and replacing parts on my 20 year old system for 13 years. It was trouble free for 7.5 years. The singer system before that went 28 years with zero repairs..28 years.. Anyway, my draft inducer fan on the gas pack is dying and I have one on order that should be here tomorrow or Thursday. But, I'll tell you that air handler is looking rough. Last summer we had nice cold air all summer (after a little R22 was added). But, I think this old dog is on it's last legs.

Do I wait for it to completely lay down (like a significant leak or bad compressor, which is only 13 years old and still going strong) or do I start planning to replace?

nealtw likes this.
  2. Jan 19, 2018 #2

Sparky617

Sparky617

Sparky617

Our Carrier units are 19 years old. Many neighbors have replaced their units already some 5 or more years ago. The neighborhood is 16-22 years old. At this point I won't do a major repair on them. Adding a little refrigerant, sure. Replacing a control board or blower motor? Probably not. You know you're on borrowed time, so you be the judge. A couple of hundred that gets you through a year or two might we worth it. I wouldn't spend more the three hundred on mine. I hope to get another year out of mine as our youngest is a junior in college. I'm mentally getting ready for my HVAC guy to say it's time to pull the plug.

3. May 1, 2018 #3

John White

John White

John White

23601 Ridge Route Drive, Ste B Laguna Hills CA
    Before going to replace your AC system, checkout the below mentioned points and then decide is it the right time to replace your AC system!
    • Age of your AC unit. If your AC is more then 10-15 years old then it might be better to replace.

• You should understand if your AC unit costs heavy in repairing or servicing. Then it should be replaced.

• You should also know about the R-22 refrigerant and R-410a refrigerant. R-22 is used into the older models while R-410a is used into the newer models which is more environment-friendly.

• You can easily understand when you get the unexpected hike into your energy bills.

• Replace your AC unit when it start troubling more like uneven cooling, bad smelling and etc