When you think you have seen everything

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should go on a home inspection sometime.... :rofl:

Let me guess. They want you to extend the deck out a few more feet.

Every few summers the news here reports on a porch or deck coming loose sometimes they are close to 100 years in service. Almost always it’s when someone has a party and they get 10 or 15 people out on it. When I was young I rented an old house second floor apartment and the front porch was pulled away an inch from the house. I told the landlord about it and he said nothing wrong with it. I locked the door and never used it. I have no idea if it was ever fixed but when I drive by the porch is still there with people sitting on it.

Yours looks like it was designed by a Frank Lloyd Wright Wanabe.

I haven't gone to look yet, but someone wanted there deck to be 1 ft longer and wider. If it's solid enough we will just knock off the junk and put up new stairs and railing, a foot smaller.

OMG ... Neal should run a contest to see who can count the number of obvious code violations in this mess!

Is there ANY metal in the structure other than nails and a few lag bolts?
Joist hangers?
Stringer hangers?
What keeps the stringers attached at the top?

Looking for common mistakes ...

http://www.mosbybuildingarts.com/blog/tag/joist-hangers/

If you loaded that up with hangers and straps, it would failed do to all the extra weight. The cantilever was likely at it's max before they added to it.

With workmanship (or lack thereof) like that, it's no wonder Mike Holmes is a multi-millionaire.

I should have taken pictures of the double p-trap plumbing I discovered ... One for the sink drain and one for the garbage disposal. Fed into a y-fitting that led into the wall ... What a mess. Ripped it out and re-plumbed it.

Thought I had seen it all ...

Back