Where can I find good contractor and building material suppliers?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkk

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good resource to find contractors? I have been looking online and all I have seen are sites where you have to describe the job then wait to get called from a contractor or if I find a directory type of site there is a limited number of contractors in my area, but I know there are many more. I am trying to build my first house and I was planning on hiring all the contractors so I need a good resource to find them. Something with reviews and article would also be very beneficial, please let me know if anyone knows of a good place to look.

Angies List is one around here but there doesn't seem to be many good references on it. Your best contractors will be found by working your local contacts to find out who other people in your area have used. Very clearly put your expectations for the subcontractor in writing including, initial deposit, payment schedule, time to completetion, and remediation for problems and any missed deadlines. After you've paid-in-full you have extremely little leverage with a subcontractor to remedy problems so never pay in full until you have thouroughly inspected each and every aspect of the contractors work.
just my .o2, Doug

Welcome ClarkK:
Check your Yello Pages and see if there is a local chapter of The Home Builders Association, they certify members for various building activities.
Glenn

Back