Where do my gutters lead to????

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegogetter222

Reaction score
Hey guys, I cannot find where my gutters and 2 garage floor drains discharge too! We are on a well and septic system and I have confirmed 100% that they do NOT drain into the septic. I did this by oppositely running the shower and running a hose in the gutters, while listening to my septic with the lid off. Shower, clearly yes; gutters, clearly no. I can trace it all the way around my house to a white vertical vent pipe which goes under a backroom towards the septic, but not into.

Is there a standard dry well design homes use? Thats the only thing I can think of. I haven't been able to find an outlet hose anywhere on our property.

Thank you in advance!

gutter and perimiter drains flow down through an underground trench, Perferated pipe is used around the house at the footings and travels down the trench slowly taking the water away gutter drains are solid pipe around the house above or beside the piremiter drain but in the same trench but the gutter drain turns into a perforated pipe away from the house and leads either into multiple trenches or a well. Goggle this and you will find all kinds of info.

Make an eccentric weight by putting an L shaped steel metal piece on the end of a snake in the pipe
and spin the snake with an elec. drill.
Don't use a lead weight for the same reason that nobody makes bells out of lead.

As you feed the snake into the pipe, follow along on the ground with a rented stethoscope for the periodic rapping sound. Even a metal or wooden stick between the ground and the bone near your ear (bone conduction) may work.

A very sensitive metal detector may also work if you can find one to rent.

Last edited:
Back