Where to place T in down run for 2 floor register [heat]?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumz

Reaction score
I'm refinishing my basement, installing a bathroom and putting 2 heat registers off one down run, one to the bathroom and another to the adjacent room. I put a T in for the down run that goes straight down to the bathroom adding a right angle register at the floor. The down run is 4" coming off the 5" that feeds the kitchen above. My question is where should I put the T, at highest, mid or lowest point of the 4" down run? The next room is like <3' over and it will also have a fight angle floor register.

BTW, the basement heats up really fast so both registers will be probably close to 3/4 closed if that makes a difference and the Trane XV90 can easily handle it.

Thanks in advance for you time!

See the green wall to the left in the image? A new wall is going in perpendicular to that which is where the floor the register will be going.

I’m no HVAC contractor but if I were doing it I would put a wye (Y) connector up midway or towards the top, then plumb away. Y connections have less resistance for flow. I plumbed all my own registers 10 years ago in my house when I bought it. Finally added AC to the the existing furnace(long overdue). Recently had a test done for the ducts and only 7% loss, which apparently is pretty good. If it gets cold down there I would insulate that rigid duct work.

Dear Drumz: First, I agree with MaxDad; use a Y connector instead of a T. Second, use R-8 insulated Flex duct for all of the straight runs, which will significantly reduce blower noise. Use hard metal, however, for all elbows etc. Use flex only for straight runs, pull it tight, and seal the joints with foil HVAC tape. Third, no matter what type of duct you use, make sure it is insulated - as MaxDad noted. Flex duct makes this easy, because it is insulated to R-6 or R-8. Uninsulated ducts suck $$ out of your wallet.

Latest posts

Back