Which chainsaw?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickmar

Reaction score
Didn't know where to post this but will try here. Looking for a 20" chainsaw to give as a Christmas gift to my son. Which brand and why would you recommend it? Thanks.
Mick

Depending on what you are trying to do, you may find something like a McCullough 20" electric to be all you need for light service.

Stihl.

If you want it to last through hard service.
Light duty, Husqvarna (sp?), Poulan.. yes, I had a Poulan for 10 years before someone stole it...

Whatever you buy, it will have to be maintained properly. Always use clean fresh gas. Always keep it inside when not in use. Wipe it down every day after use, gease the front nose sprocket. Check the bar and chain oil often and keep those passages clean as possible.
VERY IMPORTANT! keep a sharp chain on it. A dull chain will pull too hard, makes the saw hard to control, will make the engine work much harder creating more wear, Will get very hot, reducing the life of the chain and the bar.. Lots of other reasons including quality of cuts. A dull blade can lead sideways and will bind up in the cut. This creates a dangerous situation.

Careful consideration and word of mouth will get you a good quality saw. Talk to the people who know, not the salesmen... but the small repair shops. Just stop by and ask. The worst they can do is not answer :) They will have a wealth of information and some honest opinions too. If you make friends with them now, they'll be easier to deal with later.

Hey Mickmar:
I framed my A-frame house with a Homelight chainsaw, burned it out. Bought a Poulan and cut fire wood for years with it. One day it quit completely. I took the jug off and found it was bound up on a piece of carbon which had scored the piston and cylinder walls badly. I cleaned it up using emery-cloth and my bare hands, put it back together and it started right up. I finally gave it away and don't know how long it ran after that.
The next saw I wanted had to be a heavy service, dependable saw. The dealer had several brands but I focused on 3 of them. Echo, John Deer and Stihl. I favored the John Deere most because of their national advertising. The dealer told me it was just an Echo with a different paint job and brand name; both had brass bushings. He directed me to the Stihl, almost $100 more but he told me it had roller bearings, anti kick-back (which they all have now), automatic chain oiling and a nose gear that can be greased. I bit. I used the saw for several years on remodeling work and cutting fire-wood for our home, then just occasionally for several more years. Then I recently gave it to my son who cleaned it up, changed the chain and feels like he has a brand new one. You can see a picture of it on Square Eye's Home page. Stihl is the word.
Glenn

i know this is an old thread but in case someone comes along looking for saw info thought ide add this =

2 years ago i was buying a saw so asked 2 friends of mine , 1 a retired tree trimmer of 45 years experience whom now repairs 2 cycle engines , including chain saws , as a part time job to stay busy . the other 1 a 45 year old whos been trimming trees for a big company all his life . they both said husquavarna . the 45 year old said stihls got a bit more power but the husquavarna will last a long time .

and i asked more people than that , all working man types like myself that love all tools and it came down to stihl and husquavarna for me .
and i hated to go against the advice of husquavarna from my trusted friends but they both had stihl at # 2 and thats the one i liked because of it being more sturdily designed so bought me an awesome stihl rancher , about 45 cc or near . and man does this thing purr . i love it . and the main reasons i bought it over the husquavarna were the stihl has sturdier designed choke and on/off buttons , plus chain brake bar , plus the screws are star as oppopsed to phillips which always strip . little design details like that made me like the stihl chain saw .

Back