Which Sub-Floor?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zig

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a small 30+ yr old small home, built with 2x3 stud in 1977, with standard and not very high quality stuff ( moulding, door knobs, etc )

I'm replacing the original lineleum flooring in the powder room, the main bathroom and the kitchen with 12"x12" ceramic tiles.

The vinyl flooring is on the 1/4 board so it's pretty easy job to get rid of the lineleum without making any big mess.

The dimensions of the floorings are : ( area to work not counting the cabinets )
- powder room : 3' x 5'
- bathroom : 4' x 5'
- kitchen : 5' x 18' ( Kitchen + Nook area )

So now i got 5/8 plywood floor, my question is what would be the most worth material to use for sub-floor in my case?

- Plywood exterior grade : 1/2" x 4 x 8 -> $ 17 per sheet ( Is it strong enough?? )
- Plywood exterior grade : 5/8" x 4 x 8 -> $ 22 per sheet
- Cement board/backertile/Durock : 1/2" x 32" x 5' -> $15 per sheet
- FiberRock : 1/2" x 4' x 4' -> $12 per sheet

Money is an issue because we are planning to move to a bigger place ( Family is growing )

( Also what is the best spacing for those 12"x12" tiles for my areas? I saw there's many different sizes. )

Thx

Best not to lay tile on wood. I just got done using Hardibacker (used Dura Rock before) and found it real easy to work with (cuts like sheet rock so you save on saw blades). You can use 1/4" -- look for 4' x 8' sheets (if you can work with the weight) so you have less seaming. Should have instruction sheets where it is sold.

Not certain...did you go down to the joices? Why else would you be putting in 3/4" plywood then the subfloor?! Watch your finished height so your floors won't be different levels.

Have fun!!

Grout joint spacing seems to be all over the place, but some recommend 1/8".
I've laid this size tile on a very large floor surface and used 1/4". It looked great. Yes--use cement board as Mary Jo said. You can deal with the height issue by installing a marble or wood threshhold at the bathroom door so you get a smooth transition between floors. Your tile dealer will have threshholds for this purpose.

So now i got 5/8 plywood floor, my question is what would be the most worth material to use for sub-floor in my case?
- Cement board/backertile/Durock : 1/2" x 32" x 5' -> $15 per sheet 1/4" if the height is going to be to far off and make sure you apply thin set uner the backer board as you install and use the screws that are meant for backer board.
( Also what is the best spacing for those 12"x12" tiles for my areas? I saw there's many different sizes. ) 1/4" to 3/8" is best.

Back