Whirlpool WED5521SQ0 dryer : no heat, the bin is not rotating

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
I have a WED5521SQ0 dryer that's about 13 years old. Stopped working: the light comes on when I open the door, but when I push the start button, the bin is does not move and there is no heat. Also, the start button "sinks" when you press it. So does this sound like a faulty switch? Or a blown fuse? Or something else? TIA!

@Snoonyb here's what happens with the start button: when I press it once, it clicks like it usually does, although the machine does not start. When I push it the second time, it "sinks" and does not click. But if I open and close the dryer door, then press start it clicks again and so on. So opening and closing the door sort of resets it. The light goes off and on if I press the door switch with my finger, so I am assuing it's good. So does it mean the start switch is bad, not the door switch or the fuse?

Your surmise is correct, so, then accessing the switch requires some dismantling of the back of the control panel.

@Snoonyb this is what it looks like. Is 1 the door switch, or is it 1 + the ? in the middle?

sw1.jpgsw2.jpg

@Snoonyb also how do I correctly short/jump the 4 wires to test is this switch really at fault?

@Snoonyb also how do I correctly short/jump the 4 wires to test is this switch really at fault?

If you have a VOM you can check the terminal /switch conductivity, using the OHMS scale.

Just looking at the start and door switch, I'd say that the black & red is the power & two of the blues are the door switch, & the other blue is too the high/low heat switch.

Im not comfortable directing, you too, the process that I would use, because I'd feel liable if something I said caused further failure.

Last edited:
do you hear anything happening when pressing the start button?
Did the belt break, the idler pulley fail, hi-limit tripped?

@kok328 Nothing. Just click of the power switch after I open and close the door

@kok328 Nothing. Just click of the power switch after I open and close the door
well, we'll have to start troubleshooting. you'll have to open it up to get to the limits.
is there power to the outlet?
are any of the limits tripped?
what happens when you jumper the start switch?

I ordered a replacement start switch, hopefully this will be easy fix

Replaced the switch and that didn't help. Exactly the same behavior as with the old switch.

well, we'll have to start troubleshooting. you'll have to open it up to get to the limits.
is there power to the outlet?
are any of the limits tripped?
what happens when you jumper the start switch?

Now that replacing the switch didn't help, how can I diagnose what else can be wrong?

@kok328 The light comes on when I open the door. Is it possible that the thermal fuse is bad and needs replacing?

Latest posts

Back