Who should buy the materials?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaskBoy

Reaction score
Is it better for the homeowner or the GC to buy the goods? How much if any is saved by the HO buying them? Any potential problems? The work in this case is Hardiplank siding, stone veneer, concrete porch, redwood arbor over entry, two french doors. Thanks.

You might have a harder time finding a GC to work w/you if you supply the goods. Yea, there will be some markup on the goods but, I'd negotiate the total package to offset the markup. Your gonna have to pay somewhere, these guys gotta eat too. At the least, this gives them an out as far as a warranty and/or workmanship would go. Can you hear it now?: "Hey, we just installed what you supplied, if it were me I would have went w/...."

I agree, if your going to have a contractor do a job, let em supply the materials. That way they are responsible for pickin it up and buying to much of the wrong thing. And it lets the job run smoother. Imagine the contractor packin up for the day because you got the wrong plywood. :eek:

Less headaches also is worth the price.

Contractor - Often the contractor can get a better price which he may mark up to be similar to what a home owner can pay. Not worth the hassle.

The exception may be when something very specific is desired. I would have that specific item in hand when getting an install quote.

An example may be a special door found in a salvage yard or stone you pulled from the edge of grandpa's farm field, etc.

I would always quote my prices and wording in the contract for my materials (specs), but I would let the customers buy the materials that they wanted and then do a change order to reflect what I needed to charge for P.I.T.A (pain-in-the-a**) costs or anything else.

Generally the contractor buys the materials, which as stated by kok328, removes an easy out for the contractor if the materials don't fit, but also keeps you from buying the wrong stuff.

A friend of mine sometimes lets the customer buy materials, but it is generally only if he knows the person and trusts their judgment.

Back