Why did my ice maker do this? See pics!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
Hi guys. Today I found a small puddle on the floor under the freezer side door. Saw water trickling down the front of freezer door. Ice was all caked up inside the ice maker bucket and down the dispenser shute making it almost impossible to open the door it was solid shut.
Got door open and inside I found ice in the bucket was all clumpy as if it thawed then froze again? Water was also trickling from the front of ice maker trey and I had icicles coming off it down on top of the frozen meat. There's also some light seepage of water coming from the bottom of the doors front operating panel but I suspect that's because some ice/water got inside the door when the dispensary shute was a clogged solid icicle in it.
I immediately ran to basement and shut off the water supply to fridge. Chipped out enough ice to get bucket to sink and shopvaced out any standing water and ice.
I would expect to see this if the power was out or something but it hasn't been. Freezer and fridge side still cold and operating good nothing was thawed inside. So I'm suspecting something failed in the ice maker. What would cause this to happen?? See pics. All help is appreciated:( oh yeah it's a Samsung side by side from around 2013 I believe.

Attachments

• IMG_1895.JPG
    IMG_1895.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1896.JPG
    IMG_1896.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1897.JPG
    IMG_1897.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1899.JPG
    IMG_1899.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1900.JPG
    IMG_1900.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1901.JPG
    IMG_1901.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1902.JPG
    IMG_1902.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1903.JPG
    IMG_1903.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1913.JPG
    IMG_1913.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 2
If you have an operators Manuel it will tell you how to, in the appliance, shut the ice maker off. Do that and then turn the water supply back on.

If you have an operators Manuel it will tell you how to, in the appliance, shut the ice maker off. Do that and then turn the water supply back on.
Hi I read through the owners manual for my Samsung RS2556SH model and I didn't see anything about turning off the ice maker inside the appliance other than the front button on the control panel. Is that what you're referring to?
I do have two theories on what may have led to this mishap.
1) I do know that the ice maker's shut off lever may not work or there's an issue with its contactor because in the past I've found a mountain of ice cubes that were way to high in the bucket. But never has it led to any kind of bridging and/or melting runoff water down through the dispenser and on the kitchen floor!!! That's what's strange! The only thing I can think of is that the high ice caused the ice tray's rotator to not work if the tray was jammed or blocked from underneath??? And if it works on a timer it doesn't know and just keeps refilling a full tray and wahla!
2) Second theory is that the ice tray solenoid not closing enough and is overfilling the tray, but I discovered there's a test button for that after reading the manual. I'll have to investigate more tomorrow.

Here's a pic a few weeks ago indicating that the auto shut off of ice maker may be bad. Look at the size of the bucket and cubes flopping out of the small hatch door that I don't even know it's actual purpose.

Attachments

• IMG_1957.PNG
    IMG_1957.PNG
    161.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back