Why do contractors always try to rip me off

Help Support House Repair Talk:

Onion69420

Reaction score
Is it just me or does this happen to everyone.
Virtually every company I contact for home repairs tries to rip me off.
Have to call 10 companies to get a decent price on something.
Had a quote for 2 windows for 5 grand.
Paid 4k for tile that the crumbled a couple years later then another company quoted almost 10k to remove
Got a quote for 2400 to spread 2 yards of soil and plant some grass seed.
Had a concrete driveway quoted at 15k and then an asphault quote just slightly under that.
Gutters around my garage? Quote for 4000 dollars, mind you that's only 60 feet if gutter total.
I always have to haggle with people or spend a month getting quotes...and then the contractors don't show up on time or do a half *** job.
What are these people thinking? Are they just looking for idiots that are willing to pay them way too much? These people make me nuts

bud16415

Fixer Upper
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I think you hit on the reason why so many of us take the DIY route whenever possible. Over the years I found guys that were honest and do a good job and are fairly priced and in between my work for them I have steered a lot of others their way. Years back I found a great house painter and he did my home outside. About 20 years later I hired him again and he told me this would be the last time as he was hanging up his brushes. My go to roofer just passed away at 89 YO last month and his kid is taking over the last few years. My hope is he learned from his dad and will keep it going, but I have some doubts. I switched to having the Amish put metal roofing on now and have started sending work their way. The rest I still try and do myself and when it gets tricky I have some younger family that will help and follow my directions.

My problem like yours is adjusting to pricing the guy that works on my cars charges the same as a cardiologist. I can get around the price but the younger generation getting into the building trades seem to want to fake it till they make it. It is very hard to find a truly skilled craftsman these days.

With inflation and being on a fixed income now and living in a town where everyone seems to be older than me and having a lot of equipment I keep kicking around the idea to hire out doing some handyman stuff. My biggest fear is not charging enough because people can’t afford it and then having a full time job on my hands.

You are not alone the world has changed IMO and not for the better in some ways.

Steve123

Reaction score
Had a quote for 2 windows for 5 grand.

I always have to haggle with people or spend a month getting quotes...and then the contractors don't show up on time or do a half *** job.
What are these people thinking?
Frequently, when a price is totally out of line, he is thinking that he really doesn't want your job.
Is it possible you are giving the impression that you are going to be a problem customer ?

Latest posts