WHY do people buy blank?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spicoli43

Reaction score
I have Two nominees for this question to start... Fake meat and Shredded Potatoes...

First with the Fake Meat... I'm like 7-UP... Never had it, never will... The concept alone makes me nauseous... I get it if people are Vegan, I was for 7 weeks during my detox, but had no intention of eating Fake Meat. If people want something chopped and formed to look like Meat, are they truly Vegan? I saw a bunch of "Beyond" stuff in the closeout section of the store the other day, so apparently people around here feel the same way.

Now to Shredded Potatoes... I see an ad for a pound of Organic for over $4, which is 30 percent off! That makes no sense because I can go get 5 pounds of Potatoes for $5.99 at full cost and get a shredder at the Dollar Tree for $1.25. I don't get why bags of Shredded Potatoes exist because it takes mere seconds to peel and shred Potatoes, and if you have a store that sells the shreds, you have stores that sell shredders as well. I know our society has reached the point that some are so lazy they need a voice command thing for all their lights, but C'mon Man! Besides, the packaged stuff is all preserved with stuff and shouldn't be consumed.

I picked up a couple of packs of protein infused ground beef patties. I ate one patty but had to smother it with BBQ (or steak sauce) to choke it down. Now I know why the Grocery Outlet had them priced at two for a dollar. I may grill one and try it on the cat. If the cat won't eat them I'll try raw for the possums they're not finicky.

I also picked up what I thought was Wisconsin American processed cheese slices for grilled cheese sandwiches and cheeseburgers. It wouldn't melt properly for an edible grilled cheese sandwich. I read the fine print finding it to be fake cheese. Now I know why some frozen pizza says made with real cheese.

Last edited:
I picked up a couple of packs of protein infused ground beef patties. I ate one patty but had to smother it with BBQ (or steak sauce) to choke it down. Now I know why the Grocery Outlet had them priced at two for a dollar. I may grill one and try it on the cat. If the cat won't eat them I'll try raw for the possums they're not finicky.
Textured Soy Protein?

My Cats won't eat anything besides Cat food, cookies and sardines. They sniff ground beef, sausage etc., but won't taste it.

The package just said Angus beef and 19g of soy isolate.

My cat normally eats Meow Mix Original but will sometimes eat table scraps such as green beans, He was feral and before domestication could devour a rotisserie chicken carcass bones and all. We made a pact, dry food (normal ration) and no trips to the vet. It's worked for 13yrs.

I don't think he will eat Soy. I'm sure anything in the Wild would. They would then boycott your House.

I don't think he will eat Soy. I'm sure anything in the Wild would. They would then boycott your House.
Oops! I made a mistake, it was pea protein isolate but it's prolly no more palatable than soy. I didn't think it would overpower the Angus content but its prolly the lack of fat that did it in. I never buy ground beef with less than 20% fat. If a burger don't taste good why bother. By adding beef fat even ground venison is palatable.

I have never investigated Pea Protein... I have always used Whey, but I tried a Vegan Protein powder I couldn't choke down. I probably still have the bag in my pantry.

So, here's to my first investigation... I'm not buying it, final easy verdict. As far as Soy, I have known for a long time that avoiding it is best because they use Hexane to isolate the Soy from the Lecithin.

https://agnroots.com/blogs/articles-info/pea-vs-whey-protein

I use vanilla whey protein mixed with milk. I ran out of milk and recalling Meadow Fresh milk substitute I decided to try a whey protein mixed with water on my cereal. It was horrible reminding me of the time I tried almond milk.

I found my Vegan protein... It's Hemp... A full bag minus that one scoop... WOOFTASTIC!!!

Whey with water might work if it's pure whey. I use Raw Organic Whey mixed with Grass Fed Milk, and that doesn't offend my tastes.

As far as Almond Milk, was that store bought? If so, it has all kinds of gums and additives and is about 5% Almonds and 93% Water.

I make homemade Almond Milk, and also have no problem with taste.

My first nominee for the thread question, I already have a sense of the answer to, but here goes:

Those pieces that go on the front of your Jeep, to make it look angry or downright enraged. I think I looked it up once and they cost $300 at the low end. I think these are basically the same as the eyelashes some ladies put on their VW New Beetles, but I would guess the people who buy the Jeep eyebrows aren't thinking of it this way.

Last edited:
Is it this?

$105 for what exactly? I don't see any useful aspect.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/redr...angry-eye-light-brow-matte-black-j131095.html
I see a lot of these: https://www.cjponyparts.com/rough-c...524/?msclkid=ea00f630efbd167041b69553f58e4c60

The item description is hilarious and worth quoting in full:
Give your JK a menacing, customized look with this Rough Country Angry Eyes Grille. This grille is easy to install and is made from durable ABS plastic. This attention-grabbing upgrade features multiple grille slots and an aggressive scowl for a unique look that is sure to get your JK noticed. This grille comes in a sleek, matte black finish that will look great with any build, or can easily be painted to match your desired color scheme. This replacement grille does not require any cutting or drilling for installation. Featuring a fully bolt-on installation process, this grille uses your JK’s factory grille mounting holes. Give your Wrangler a tough and aggressive look with this custom-looking Angry Eyes Grille.

I am thinking a lot of men have what I call the Rambo gene and try to express it through their vehicles and their accessorized AR-15s. However I do admit that I liked a VW beetle that used to visit my neighborhood. It had a Porsche 916 engine. Also my son had a Porsche 914-8 I never drove it.

Last edited:
Anybody try horse meat yet?

Apparently iut's been approved for human comsumption here in the US now.

Anybody try horse meat yet?

Apparently iut's been approved for human comsumption here in the US now.
A former co-worker of mine visited Iceland years ago and tried it there. He said it was delicious.

The two most exotic meats I've had are kangaroo (tasted like lamb or mutton) and ostrich (tasted like a lighter, sweeter beef).

The two most exotic meats I've had are kangaroo (tasted like lamb or mutton) and ostrich (tasted like a lighter, sweeter beef).
Those are two meats to add to my bucket list of things to try.

I've tried gator. It tasted like chicken, but I suspect that's because they also used that deep fryer for chicken...

I tried kangaroo meat once.... but, it made me jumpy

Eyeroll @ you, krich.

I've had gator in the form of fried chunks, and another time in the form of jerky. I thought it tasted fishy and dirty both times.

Back