Why Do The Lights Dim?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom25B

Reaction score
General question: in our house, whenever we turn on a clothing iron, the lights in nearby rooms dim. I only know the basics of electricity but was wanting a better explanation. Do all houses do this? Or do the less expensive houses do it because a “least expensive amount of current” circuit was installed by the power company when the house was built? Built in 99, 1300 sqft, $119k - middle class production home, nothing special.

I would first check that the wire connected to the circuit breaker that controls that circuit, to make sure that it is tight. Actually, I would check all of the wire connections in the panel to make sure they are all tight.

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING INSIDE A CIRCUIT BREAKER PANEL, CALL AN EXPERT.

Could be lots of different things.
Are the outlets back stabbed instead of under the screws?
Aluminum wiring?
What else is on that circuit?

Has it always done this or did it just start ?

Wyr
God bless

Code requires lighting and receptacles to be on separate circuits. That way a load (iron) on a receptacle does not draw from your lights. Your house might not have that split. Older houses do have dimming problems because of the load sharing. First, check the connections and breakers. Sounds like you need help because electrical is not for the newbie

In our area , it is SOP to put lites & plugs on the same circuits , on residential , as long as they are not one of the required dedicated circuits ( kitchens , etc. ) . I try to keep them separate .

For commercial construction , we install them by the plans . Which almost always are separated . ( They have to be if you have 277 VAC lighting . )

Wyr
God bless

Code requires lighting and receptacles to be on separate circuits. That way a load (iron) on a receptacle does not draw from your lights. Your house might not have that split. Older houses do have dimming problems because of the load sharing. First, check the connections and breakers. Sounds like you need help because electrical is not for the newbie

Must be a local thing because I have not seen any codes requiring lighting and receptacles to be on separate circuits.

Most likely there is a loose connection somewhere in that portion of the wiring shared by both the iron's receptacle and the lights..

Do the lights dim very noticeably and stay dimmed until the iron is turned off?

Or is there just a hard to see flicker at the moment the iron is turned on, not including a blink to off/dark?

Must be a local thing because I have not seen any codes requiring lighting and receptacles to be on separate circuits.
Not sure how NEC and NFPA are inter-twined but, I thought it was fire code to keep them separated? :confused:
Don't want the lights going out when an electrical device catches fire and trips the breaker, won't be able to see to get out.

Back