Why does the paddle always come out of this drill?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
0406181654.jpg No matter how much I tighten it, and yes I have a chuck key. No matter how much I try to make sure that it's straight. It always comes out after about 10 seconds of use.

(I didn't leave the chuck key in while using it, I did that just for the picture)

Last edited by a moderator:
Try lightly hand tightening the chuck and then twist the paddle in the chuck to align the chuck jaws with the flat spots on the paddle shaft, then tighten it down.

What are you trying to mix with that light duty drill?
Unless it's something thin like paint there's a chance your going to burn that small drill up if it's something like mortar or Thinset.
Are there any flats or a hex on the shaft of that mixer?

Unless it's something thin like paint there's a chance your going to burn that small drill up if it's something like mortar or Thinset.

It's unsanded grout for backsplash.

I think the problem was the end of the paddle is damaged. See it compared to a new one.

(The new one looks like a shadow on the table saw.)

Attachments

• 0407181528.jpg
    0407181528.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 0407181616.jpg
    0407181616.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 11
It's been turned down smaller to fit a smaller drill. Or its been slipping a lot and has been ground down by the slipping chuck.

What is the minimum size "drill" (or other mixer) that I need? I can foresee myself mixing...

Joint compound, concrete, grout, thinset.

1/2 inch that's what I use...Milwaukee. I've also mixed all of those in my drum mixer also.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but it looks like a 3/8 s. need a close up shot to be for sure.

Last edited:
They can put a ½ chuck on any drill.

You will know when your drill motor isn’t big enough.

Sure looks like the end of the rod was not turned down very well --- In the first picture, I seem to see a taper on the shaft. That would certainly want to come out of the drill. Take it back to your pedestal grinder and get the end cylindrical. (Hex would be even better, but that would be asking too much.)

Back