Why Is It???

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldognewtrick

In memory of
Reaction score
Wednesday afternoon I took one of my workers over to a friends house to install a new patio door. The old one was rotten and when we removed the old door the sub flooring was rotten also. So we replace the flooring and rotten jack studs, tried like double heck to shim the dang, double opening door and it was one of those days when nothing went right. So we put the door in the opening, took the packing strap and screwed it in place, taped up the gaping holes and told her we'd be back sat.

Fast forward to today, everything fell into place. Door shimmed up easy, got both sides to swing, latch and lock, installed the hardware and insulated the frame.

Why is it you sometimes have to walk away and attempt it another day. Just wish I was making money on the deal, but oh well, it's about done now. Glad to help a friend out.

I had a similar experience with installing an exterior metal door into a wooden jamb. I was successful with the install, but the door was just too big for the opening and was stuck. I returned the next day and found no sticking at all. All I could do was to chalk it up to humidity.

Welcome to my world...:help:

Some days it don't pay enough to get outta bed, unfortunetly the door is out before you realize "Murphys other brother " came with y'all to the job.

My favorites are the outdoor jobs that have to get done that day, and the lights are all at the shop!! Love those 16 hr shifts.......:eek:

My favorites are the outdoor jobs that have to get done that day, and the lights are all at the shop!! Love those 16 hr shifts.......:eek:

I love it when the new guy says "Mr. Tom, why'd the bosses wife show up with the flood lights and bologna sandwiches?"

I don't know, but it's a matter of fact, whatever I'm working on today, will get done faster and with less trouble tomorrow.

Back