Why you should not pay all up front

Help Support House Repair Talk:

femgroup

Reaction score
Handshake deals with honorable workers and payers is common in rural areas... rural people are shocked to find in the Democrat run cities that workers don't do what they're paid to do, often just abscond with all the money, and the payers don't pay for work done, expect people to work for free and supply free materials, and that all spirals down into a real shiiite hole situation...
"Democrat run cities?" Now where have I heard THAT before? You people with these opinions are just this side of unhinged. Do like intelligent people do: manage your remodel smartly. Who in the h would pay somebody in advance of the work provided?

Don't answer that. (you must beware of self incrimination).

zannej

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear the couple didn't get any help. Not surprised to hear the prosecutor refused to take action though. I wonder how many people the contractor will screw over before someone will actually do something. He's probably screwed over a lot who were too embarrassed to report it or didn't have the $ to hire a lawyer. Sounds like this was planned. Likely has assets listed under the name of a wife, sibling, parent, etc. I mean, they can still sue him and get a judgment for $ but collecting might be difficult. Can't put liens on things if he has nothing listed in his name. He thought this through & likely will do it again. I hope they catch him eventually.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
A decent lawyer shouldn't be stopped by the old "nothing in my name" trick. Lawyers know people use loopholes to hide that kind of activity and so the lawyers know how to show a judge that's what's going on, and judges know it when they see it too.

Spicoli43

Reaction score
I agree, zannej. He has done this a lot. When I lived near Seattle, Early 2000's, one of the news stations had an investigative team that would chase these people down. In this scenario, the old couple would contact the News station, say what happened, provide documents and pictures etc., and the lead investigator would do a story on it that aired one day a week on the nightly newscast.

They would go out to said business with the cameras rolling and do everything this side of the law to get the crooks to talk. I remember there being a huge success rate, nobody wanted to be featured on that segment. I remember a lot of it was construction related.

I found an example..

Last edited:

zannej

Reaction score
Flyover, I agree. A *decent* lawyer would have found some way. Sounds like they got a cheap guy who didn't want to put in the work of finding the assets or of at least getting enough evidence to present to police for a fraud case. Really sad when stuff like that happens.

Spicoli, I hate that we even need to have shows/busts like that and that reporters seem to be the ones who have to do something about it instead of police.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
If the lawyer was presenting evidence to police and not a judge then I doubt it was really a lawyer...maybe two kids in a trench coat?

billshack

Reaction score
So in Canada a contractor needs a licence to do any construction work. electrical, plumbing, general ect .
is this the same in the USA ?

zannej

Reaction score
billshack, a license is required for working on water heaters, septic tanks, mold remediation, gas lines, etc but a handyman without a license can be used so long as he/she charges less than $500 to $1k (depending on local jurisdiction laws).

Rusty

Flooring installer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
No license is required in Missouri in rural areas except for septic tanks.

Latest posts