Will running a second supply vent off existing on 2nd floor help?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swindmill

Reaction score
I'm finishing my half story and I currently have one supply vent in the bedroom. That vent runs straight up from the cellar, which is about 12 feet below the register. I have a bathroom in the half story as well, and it currently has no supply vent. The only practical way to get one there is to run it off of the same duct in the bedroom. It would be routed through the side attic, probably about 20 feet in total, to get to the bathroom. Would this be beneficial for getting heat/air to the bathroom, or is that too much to get from one supply duct off the the trunk in the cellar? I don't know what the cfm's are from the existing vent, but it blows fairly strong.

With a run that long (and a 90-degree change in direction), chances are you could wind up with a lot of "junk air" eventually getting to the bathroom. Especially if the scuttle area the run would be in is not insulated.

I'd vote with nealtw, and put an electric, switched heater in the bathroom. Maybe a HVAC expert will chime in shortly with a more educated opinion.

The roof is spray foamed, so it is all insulated. It does seem like far too long of a route, and I suppose it would only take away from the vent in the bedroom. What types of electric heaters are available? I haven't put in the floor, so I could do a heated floor. The vent fan I installed has a heater function, but I'm guessing that is of minimal help. With the bathroom being in a finished attic, it should stay warm up there even in the winter, so maybe I should be more concerned with hot summers.

I would pull the wires for a 2 ft baseboard and therm, so if you need a little heat it's ready to go. In floor is nice for a tile floor but it's a little pricy.

Back