Window air condition unit

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengseth20

Reaction score
Hey all. I new to this web sight but I aready have a problem. I just bought a new Whirlpool 12000 BTU Window A/C unit last year and it worked fine for the first year. I hooked it up this year and it ran fine for a coulple days then it just quit I have power on the cord but none to the unit . I took the electrical cover off and seen the fuse was blowed I put a new fuse in and pluged unit in heard a huming noise right away and then the fuse blew again. It has a dual run capacitor and I was wondering if this could be the problem. My warrenty is expired

It might be the capacitor, you will need a volt/ohm meter capable of reading capacitance to determine the health of the cap. It might also be a locked up/stuck compressor. Sometimes you can give them a sharp hit by placing a block of wood along side of the compressor and rap it with a hammer. The trick is to not hit it too hard or too soft. Do the fans turn freely by hand when it's unplugged?

Yes the fan will turn freely by hand. Also I unhooked the compressor once and plugged it in but it blew another fuse then too.

Back