Window air condition unit

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by bengseth20, May 12, 2013.

1. May 12, 2013 #1

bengseth20

bengseth20

bengseth20

Hey all. I new to this web sight but I aready have a problem. I just bought a new Whirlpool 12000 BTU Window A/C unit last year and it worked fine for the first year. I hooked it up this year and it ran fine for a coulple days then it just quit I have power on the cord but none to the unit . I took the electrical cover off and seen the fuse was blowed I put a new fuse in and pluged unit in heard a huming noise right away and then the fuse blew again. It has a dual run capacitor and I was wondering if this could be the problem. My warrenty is expired

2. May 12, 2013 #2

kok328

kok328

kok328

It might be the capacitor, you will need a volt/ohm meter capable of reading capacitance to determine the health of the cap. It might also be a locked up/stuck compressor. Sometimes you can give them a sharp hit by placing a block of wood along side of the compressor and rap it with a hammer. The trick is to not hit it too hard or too soft. Do the fans turn freely by hand when it's unplugged?

3. May 12, 2013 #3

bengseth20

bengseth20

bengseth20

Yes the fan will turn freely by hand. Also I unhooked the compressor once and plugged it in but it blew another fuse then too.