Window condenser fan for my cabin

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxdad118

JOAMOS
Reaction score
So central heat and air is not in the budget for my weekend(for now) cabin in CA. I just purchased a window condenser fan from Lowe’s and want some opinions on what I should expect? Should I see pretty dramatic results over ceiling fans and box fans in the windows? It was close to 100 degrees last weekend and felt the same inside, lol.

I do not know know what you are talking about, is it a window unit with evaporative cooling coil and out side condensing unit .

I do not know know what you are talking about, is it a window unit with evaporative cooling coil and out side condensing unit .
Yes, I’m sorry I got words confused. It’s an evaporative window cooler. I got it installed, pretty permanent. I’m not sure I want to cut a hole in the wall next to it to get the function back of the window. It cooled rather nice. The true test will be in the middle of the day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 4
If you do decide to cut a hole in the wall would placing it beneath the window work for you? You would just be working with cripple studs rather than support studs. It would look good from the outside centered under the window but it may be too tall to fit.

If you leave it in the window I think a framed pane of acrylic or plexiglass with insulation strip around it would work and give you a bit of window pane above the unit.

Last edited:
I’m thinking I’m gonna leave it as is. The 1/2” plywood above is temporary, I’ll make it a better, secured fit. It’s in the channel on the top and one side but the window that slides horizontally is wedged up against the edge of the board with some foam for ‘sealing’ the void. I’m thinking of a ‘U’ channel attached to the edge of the board on that side so the window can slide inside the channel and capture the board. Then maybe one of those screw on locks at the bottom?

Then maybe one of those screw on locks at the bottom?
Maybe just lay a strip of wood of proper snug length in the bottom track to keep the window from sliding open similar to what many people do with a sliding glass door...

Yeah, I have a few options, it’s a very short void. Maybe 2-3”. Currently have a foam piece wedged between the window frame and edge of plywood and it’s ‘springy’. I can push it tight, drop a block of wood in there and let it relax. I’m thinking of getting a H channel to capture the wood above the unit so the wood has nowhere to go and stays in line with the window frame. Do they sell a channel that might be 3/4” on one side and 1/2” on the other? At Lowe’s or HD?

Back