Window doesn't close

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
We have a double pane crank in window that is about 15 years old. It cranks in, but doesn't seem to align with the frame. However if you go outside and push on it while someone cranks in, it will close all the way.

Any idea what is wrong with it?
Easy fix?
Should we just replace it?

Some of the, several failures, of casement windows have been noted, so additionally there there can be a binding in the weather stripping, as it ages and loses it's flexibility, and also, the mechanism, which is generally replaceable, can become worn and will jump a cog, affecting the operation.

Hinge free play is very likely in a 15 yr old window, IMO.
I guess you could drill out the pins/rivets & replace with larger diameter pins. . .if you can find such things. :(

Is there any movement in the hinges if you try to move the window up, down, side to side? Is there any change to the frame or the surround?

There didn't seem like there was any movement.

Hinge free play is very likely in a 15 yr old window, IMO.
I guess you could drill out the pins/rivets & replace with larger diameter pins. . .if you can find such things. :(

Easier to replace the window. I was looking for a quick fix.

Casement windows closing mechanism become very inefficient when almost closed. A little bit of wear or bending will cause a bind. The problem is then people force the crank and worsen the problem.

You say if you go outside and assist just a little they seem to work ok. If I wasn’t ready to replace the windows yet I might screw a pull to the inside to help me close the windows without going outside.

Latest posts

Back