Window Fixed (Almost)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dengebre

Reaction score
I just had a pane of glass repaired in an aluminum framed, single-pane, single-hung window. The glass is set from the inside and held against the outside frame by a plastic trim piece. There is a trim piece on all four sides of the pane, and they snap into the inner window frame. This is a fairly common configuration for windows down here in FL.

The problem is with the plastic trim pieces. They become brittle over time due to UV, and the repairman busted them up when re-installing (he did his best). Does anyone know where I might find some replacement pieces? I'd contact the window manufacturer if I knew who it was (assuming they were still in business).

I would think this was a somewhat common problem. Thank you in advance for your help!

Welcome DENGEBRE:
If the builder of the house is still around you could ask them. Go to some building suppliers in the area and see if they have one that looks the same. Ask around the neighborhood; they may have the same windows and know where to get the vinyl strips.
Google the window with as much description as possible.
Time to play Sherlock Holmes. I think he smoked the pipe so we could tell whether he was coming or going, since his hat had 2 bills on it.
Please post back and let us know how it goes.
Glenn

When I lived in Tampa those windows were very common. Most glass shops had the strips. This was a few years ago so you could try the older glass shops if you have no success with the new ones. Good luck.

Check with a glass repair place first, as suggested. Also Google "window hardware". There are a lot of places that specialize in replacement parts.

Latest posts

Back