window header

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtlethargic

Reaction score
Small bathroom, the natural place for the tub/shower is against the exterior wall, replacing window, will tile up to bottom of window (~6'). The goal is to get the window as high on the wall as possible.

The question is: what are my options for the header? Can I remove any of the top sill(s) and move the header up? Or, is the highest the header can go is to the top sill, removing the cripples? Sorry if I've got the terms wrong.

0110121337-00.jpg

You can remove the plates and install the header, we call that a flush header. We also use a hidden header, you double the rim joist over the windows. It's in the code here, you may want to check yours.

If you cut the plates out, be sure to strap the cut ends to the header, so it can't shift. Or you can go above and hidden as Neal mentioned.

I slip another peice in front of the rim joist. If the joists are 2x10 just put in one piece of 2x10 42" long above the plates, screw in a dozen screws and your done. You could also do it the other way and unless you have a bearing wall or beam landing on it above and you are going to do the whole job in one afternoon, I wouldn't worry about just doing it without any extra support. If the joists were landing on this wall, it would be a different story.

Looks like your wall could use some insulation, too.

Back