Window Springs and Weather-stripping

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bart

Reaction score
Hello All, I recently purchased a townhome built in 1986 with the original wood windows in place. I am not in a position to replace them yet, but would like to make them safe and a bit more energy efficient. There are 10 windows of which 7 will not stay open. The other 3 spring open when you release the lock. Some of the windows have upper panes that will drop when one unlocks the window. The weather-stripping along the bottom of each window is missing or falling apart. I would really appreciate any insights that would help me identify exactly what part #s I should order to replace the window springs (I think they are spiral window springs) including:
  • tools required to safely replace the window springs
  • part #s or how to identify the part #s for each window spring requiring replacement
  • part #s or how to identify the part #s for the missing weather-stripping
  • links to any videos that would help
Attached are a few photos. The specific window in these photos has a wood frame that is 1.75" thick. The window measures 65" for the height including both vertical panes combined. There are 2 - 65" x 36" windows right next to each other and picture 3 shows the center trim between the two.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am happy to take more photos if needed.
1.jpg1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1
Anyone have any ideas regarding the window springs and/or weather-stripping in the above photos?

Any chance you can divine a manufacturer? Maybe, if a sash can be removed/opened for cleaning you might find better information. Chances are you may not know until you remove the frame from the rough opening. So many manufactuerers and so many years, you might want to balance your effort between chasing a solution and having them replaced. The tech these days is so much better, and yep, more expensive...

That sounds like a fun new challenge. I'll try to figure out how to open a sash this next weekend. Replacing the windows aren't an option for me at the moment, so finding a way to make at least one window in each bedroom work is my priority. I really appreciate your response.

No luck this past weekend. It looks like I'm going to need some add'l tools and possibly some help to get the sash out.

Latest posts

Back