winters coming are you ready

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might be the so-called Wagon Wheel Effect but the rear tire of the front car appears to be rotating CW. :confused:

In Australia here, and it's more of summer coming over here haha

I did my annual check to see if the 4WD works on my 2 SUVs. They did perform well even though there were used once or twice a year. - My wife sees a snow flake and goes whole-hog and hits the 4WD Low button and annually wonders why the car is slow and noisy.

All set for a week or so of 60F highs and the hopes for snow that is always not enough for others.

Dick

I'm ready for it. Of course in Texas that means one week of winter so I'll be alright with a sweater.

Some areas in the "Great Lakes region" do get a lot of snow, but other areas do not. It all depends on the location. If you are close to the lakes and also get a wind and weather affect from the SW, S, SE the snowfall can be very dramatic and troublesome, increasing costs and discomfort.

In in the areas with winds from the north, the snow can be common and build up the statistics over the season, but is not nearly as troublesome as the areas being fed southern/gulf moisture, which creates heavy, wet snow and ice problems. I lived in the northern lower peninsula of MI where we had an annual average of about 100" and a maximum one year of 200". Most of the snow was usually "sissy snow" and it was common to get 2" in the morning with thew sky appearing almost clear and the city did not bother to plow that type because it was so light, the cars blew it off the road, but we did get some 10"+ snows, but they were also very fluffy. The southern part of the state, got heavier more troublesome snow because of the type and source of southern moisture.

Where I am now (Minneapolis/St. Paul) our snowfall is not that great with an average of about 42". Last year we had 28" with a single maximum of about 8" and our record is about 95". Much of our snow comes in the early winter/late fall or very later winter (March). One year we got 21" on Halloween and it was gone in a couple of days and the ground was bare for several months. We do get some strange snow - It is called "snirt" (snow and dirt) that comes from the wind picking up dir in North Dakota and leaving a very light layer on any existing snow. The good thing is that our winter precipitation if followed by cold and clear skies, so the dark specks melt the snow around them when the sun comes out even at -0F. The dry weather is why I do not use my 4WD much, if at all. The exception is in the city where the cars prevent decent snow plowing, so it gets pushed and moved around and accumulates in some area. Because of parking regulations in many city area and all suburban areas, the plows run at 40 mph where possible, cleaning the streets/roads and getting the snow well away from most traffic areas. - There are always some exceptions.

The SW had its "dry heat" and we have our "dry snow/air".

Dick

Last edited:
We have meny different climates here too. In the interier you can drive on the snow and go anywhere but down here on the coast we get very little but it's (snot) and 1" will stop everything.

If we get iced over our world comes to a stop. School is called off, work cancelled and we all stay indoors and wait for it to end.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not.

My wife drives 99% of everywhere we go. It's nice, I just sit back and enjoy the ride.

If we get iced over our world comes to a stop. School is called off, work cancelled and we all stay indoors and wait for it to end.
Look for mini baby booms 9 months later.

I will pay attention to that.

Come on cold winter!

The story went well with all those sex novels about people stuck in elevators during the power outage in NY.

Got a small problem with storm surge from the ocean. Can anyone suggest a fix? (Pic is real as of tonight) :)

LIBERTY.jpg

Back