Wiring Garage - Good News Bad News

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtheelder2020

Reaction score
Good news: Rewiring my garage is complete! Went from one light and one receptacle to 5 LED fixtures and 7 receptacles (2 on exterior walls).

Bad news: When I snapped the LED unit into the base unit of one fixture I pinched a wire between them. It worked fine for two days but shorted out this morning.

I am fine with doing electrical wiring but this wire is such small gauge that it is more like electronics wiring - which I know nothing about. Can I just strip the ends and twist them together? Will changing the resistance of the two wires connected to the LEDs affect their operation? Thanks in advance for any advice.

slight increase in resistance shouldn't be a problem. wire nut them, solder them, butt splice them, whatever, you should be fine.

Thanks for response kok328. I don't know if they make a wire nut small enough for these (OD of insulation is 1/16 inch). I will try twisting them together and covering with heat-shrink tubing - and I will be a little more careful when snapping the two halves together.

Hi, if you twist them together they should be soldered first.
Geo

Thanks for the imput geochurchi. Should something like this arise again I will do that. For this time, I just twisted them together and covered with heat-shrink tubing. The LEDs did not light so I presume something in the electronics got fried. A new fixture is in place - I was more careful this time.

Back