Wiring help changing from WR 1F79 to Vine TJ-225

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvfmc85

Reaction score
Hi.
I just bought a Vine TJ-225 thermostat. I was reading the manual to properly install it and I'm really confused with some of the wires.

My old thermostat is a "White Rodgers 1F79" and it has wires on the following terminals: "W2", "E", "O/B", "R", "G", "C and "Y". And The TJ-225 has the following Terminals "RC" and "RH" (with a jumper), "G", "W/E", "Y", "C", "Y2" and "O/B/W2".

Some of the wires, I believe I should connect like this: R--->(RC-RH); G--->G, C--->C and Y--->Y, right?

My question is regarding the wires on the "W2", "E" and "O/B" from the old thermostat. How should I connect them on the TJ-225 since there's only one terminal for "O/B/W2", one for "W/E" and a "Y2"?

Should I connect the "W2" wire to the "W/E" terminal, the "O/B" wire to the "O/B/W2" terminal, and leave the "E" wire disconnected?

Attached are the pictures from my old thermostat "White Rodgers 1F79" and the TJ-225.

Could someone help me with this?

Thank you so much.

Sincerely,

Victor

Attachments

• Wires on white rodgers 1f79.jpg
    Wires on white rodgers 1f79.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 3
  • TJ-225 Wire terminals.jpg
    TJ-225 Wire terminals.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 3
Your original thermostat is a heat pump thermostat. So this thermostat is going to need to be hooked up as a heat pump thermostat.

Your best bet is to call Vine customer support and let them guide you through this.

Thank you very much, Bob.
I contact them and they reply me telling me to connect the O/B wire to the "O/B/W2" terminal and "W2" and "E" together to the "W/E" terminal. And to set the thermostat to Heat Pump reversed in cool (since I have an O wire, as I checked on 1F79 switch position).

So, the final wiring from 1F79 to TJ-225 was:
"R"--->("RC"-"RH"); "G"--->"G", ("W2" + "E")--->"W/E", "Y"--->"Y", "C"--->"C", no wire to "Y2" terminal and, "O/B"--->"O/B/W2".

Last edited:
Thank you very much, Bob.
I contact them and they reply me telling me to connect the O/B wire to the "O/B/W2" terminal and "W2" and "E" together to the "W/E" terminal. And to set the thermostat to Heat Pump reversed in cool (since I have an O wire, as I checked on 1F79 switch position).

So, the final wiring from 1F79 to TJ-225 was:
"R"--->("RC"-"RH"); "G"--->"G", ("W2" + "E")--->"W/E", "Y"--->"Y", "C"--->"C", no wire to "Y2" terminal and, "O/B"--->"O/B/W2".

And that is why we have to call tech support for these connected home thermostats. They can do in minutes what it takes us hours to do. Glad it worked out for you.

Latest posts

Back