Wiring outlet from a switch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clcmbtn

Reaction score
Hello,

I want to add an electrical outlet in the bathroom (currently not one in there) the only way I can gain access to wiring is from the light. I can drop a wire from the light inside the wall to the electrical box. I realize when the light is off so will be the outlet. How can I accomplish keeping the outlet hot at all times?

Thanks
Chris

If the only power in the light is switched power then go to the switch. There should be unswitched power in the switch box.

Just hook your outlet to the LINE side of the switch instead of the LOAD side of the switch.
Before you go too far, I'd verify that there is a neutral wire in the box.
Typically, you could tell be the color of the wire but, if you have an older "switch leg", the neutral is being used as return power from the switch to the light and should be taped with black tape to indicate that it is part of a switch leg.

I'm going to check that this afternoon. The problem is, the light fixture is directly above where the outlet is going, so I can just drop Romex from there. The switch is on the opposite wall so I have no way of getting to that wiring behind the wall.

Just hook your outlet to the LINE side of the switch instead of the LOAD side of the switch.
Before you go too far, I'd verify that there is a neutral wire in the box.
Typically, you could tell be the color of the wire but, if you have an older "switch leg", the neutral is being used as return power from the switch to the light and should be taped with black tape to indicate that it is part of a switch leg.

The switch has 3 white wires all wire nutted together. I haven't pulled the light fixture off yet, doing that this afternoon

Maybe I misunderstood you. Are you looking to get power from the light fixture or the switch?

It depends where the power originates from. it could start at the light and then run out and back to the switch. or it could start at the switch and run out and back to the light. In the second case there is no way to do what you want unless you don't mind having the light on when you shave or blow dry. By the sound of the whites together in the switch it sounds like the power originates there.

Well the power originates at the switch. So I tapped into the light wiring and dropped romex for the outlet. So the outlet won't be hot unless the light is on, which won't be a big problem really.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Make sure you install a gfci outlet, with the new wires connected to the LINE terminals, not the LOAD terminals.

LOAD terminals would be used to feed another outlet downstream.

Was there a room behind the wall where you wanted the new outlet?

You can bring power in that way also.

Back