Wiring smart thermostat

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdestuck

Reaction score
I would like to put a smart thermostat for my heating system in my house, but the one I’d like requires a C wire. I have hot water heat having a Weil McLain boiler with two zones. The two thermostats in the house right now only run off of two wires each. They run down to a control panel located above the boiler. I will attach pictures of them. There appears to be no place in the panel where I can pick up a C wire in I’m wondering if I can just pick up power from a low-voltage transformer. If I can, can I run it off the same transformer that feeds my doorbells or should I put a new transformer in. And how would I wire the transformer, just a C wire to one of the transformer’s screws or how would I do this? Appreciate anyone’s help on this.

what brand smart stat are you looking at and what does the manufacturer say about hot water heating systems?

what brand smart stat are you looking at and what does the manufacturer say about hot water heating systems?
I bought a Honeywell thermostat for me 2 wire boiler system. Honeywell was a great customer service line. He gave me a link to sign on to and the rep was able to look at both my old and new thermostat and told me which wire from both my boiler and external 24v transformer were to go. Was a neat and easy deal. I think I’m all set on this deal. Tks for jumping in.

Can I ask which model? I have a Nest but I don't love it and cannot get it to work without a C wire.
You'll have to use the external transformer. Possibly don't use the R, RC bridge wire?

Latest posts

Back