Wood casement window frame with film

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry6088

Reaction score
Greeting,,,

I have wood casement window frame with film, where the the film now all came off.
I do not know the type/make of those frame/window, nor the manufactory, except they were first installed in 2007.

Could anyone tell from the photo? what is the type/make or name I shall search up? and what is best way to repair?

Many thanks
Jerry

Attachments

• IMG_20220722_125759.jpg
    IMG_20220722_125759.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Welcome.
Step back about 15' and post a panoramoic view.

Hi Snoonyb
I do not have a good photo at hand. below photo1 is the same window, photo 2 is from another room, where the window frame is in much better condition
Thanks

1659272983124.png
1659273131145.png

Thanks, a panoramic view adds context and perspective, for me, anyway.

I don't recognize these, based upon the hrdw., however, your local says "HAMPSHIRE", so if "NEW", was omitted/or not, you might have better luck locally.

I think that you are talking about the sash and the poor condition that it is in. It looks to me like you have some dry rot in the corner likely coming from the exterior glazing stop leaking. You will need to find the manufacturer and find out if you can get a replacement sash or replacement stiles and rails. I think that I see a screw in the corner if that is the case hopefully stiles and rails are available. If not you might take it to a local mill work company and see if they can match the profile for you.

Greeting,,,

I have wood casement window frame with film, where the the film now all came off.
I do not know the type/make of those frame/window, nor the manufactory, except they were first installed in 2007.

Could anyone tell from the photo? what is the type/make or name I shall search up? and what is best way to repair?

Many thanks
Jerry

Dear Jerry: As another person noted, it appears that there is rot in the window frame, where water leaked in from the outside. Plastic film on mounted on windows as an air barrier can also lead to rot because the film is typically not air-tight and condensation can form on the plastic and/or glass in the winter. This is obviously not a problem if the film is mounted directly on the glass to reduce UV light etc.

Did you examine the seals on the window, on the side and bottom - to see if they have degraded / failed / fallen out? If this happened on one window, the same problem will probably occur on the others - and you should check all of them. Also check the condition of the exterior paint etc.

Also examine the condition of the wood moulding around all of our window that the hinges fasten too, and the sills at the bottom (inside and out) Did the rot penetrate and damage these parts as well? If so, they need to be replaced.

In any case, it would be nearly impossible to repair a wood window frame that moves, like your casement window, after rot damages the wood on a critical corner. If you remove the window a local mill shop should be able to create a duplicate for you.

Back