Wood deck painting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harvcr

Reaction score
What kind of coat and paint do you recommend for a wooden deck?
I'm looking for something that would actually enhance the natural color of my deck, I would like a brownish color.
What do you recommend?

light or a little dark of a natural wood stain looks great. also you can water seal it after to protect your deck even more

According to my knowledge continued re-painting with the same type Deck & Porch paints will not solve the problem! The only thing that accomplishes is having thicker pieces of paint come off and the other great destroyer of deck coatings is the Sun. Decks with long exposures to sunlight can have their coatings burned off in a year or less! If your deck is exposed to sunlight for most of the day we suggest you choose a darker color and go with two coats on the floor boards. This will give you maximum longevity.

What kind of coat and paint do you recommend for a wooden deck?
I'm looking for something that would actually enhance the natural color of my deck, I would like a brownish color.
What do you recommend?

Brownish color would be nice and it would match the color of your deck since it is made from wood...

Is this an exposted pressure treated deck!
Paint should never be used on a pressure treated deck unless your into sanding peeling paint.

Not even soild stains will hold up for long on the decking part.
It would be fine for the railings but not for the deck.
Check out Deck Scapes from Sherwin Williams.
The darker color you pick the hotter that deck is going to feel.

I have been looking into the same question. It is a pretty tricky question. This is what I gather. Semi-transparent stains allow you to see the grain of the wood and have less pigment in them. They penetrate better and are less likely to peel, but having less pigment they also have less UV resistance and don't last as long as semi-solid or solid color stains. Solid color stains hold up to UV longer and therefore last longer, but if put on too heavily they can peel off just like paint. We tried a semi-solid stain, and, even knowing the above, put it on too heavily. Looks good ( no UV damage ), but already starting to flake off in some areas. The best sounding system I have heard of is made by Timber Pro and is a two part process where the first coat penetrates deeply and molecularly bonds with the wood. The second coat bonds to the first and is basically a semi-transparent stain. The first coat protects the wood, supposedly forever, second coat wears off and needs replacing pretty fast, 1-2 years I think, depending.

we recoated our deck 3yrs ago w/polymer-modified ' encore 'stuff,,, the kit comes w/polymer & fine aggregate to which we added 1g of exterior latex paint ( medium grade cost ),,, prep consisted of scrubbing w/1/2 bleach & dawn dishwasher detergent followed by pressure wash,,, other than washing off the red clay the dog tracked up the stairs & occasional spot removal of rust stains from the deck furniture, its still good :beer: ( h/d had some stuff by synta here in atl but they were bought by sher-wms - tried it on a condo job but not satisfactory - no financial interest )

Back