Wood paneling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I say wax the frame, I mean the paint roller frame. This is so the roller will move freely on the frame. The frame without wax or WD-40 may stick occasionally and the roller may drag and not roll.

The pictures are a semi-gloss paint.

With particle board, i'd use a damp rag with the TSP solution to prevent soaking. You want to just wash the smooth surfaces. If TSP gets in the wood it could cause problems later.

You can do this. It has worked for lots of people before.

Good luck, and post some pics when you finish!

Tom in KY

Thanks for the advice Square Eye.

We ripped the paneling off one wall because it was in a bad condition. As expected behind it is a thinly painted concrete wall with a grid of dried glue. We tried chipping the glue (slow work) and sanding away the bumps (more slow work), then applying primer then paint, but still the imperfections showed.

Any ideas on how to hide this wall without resorting to drywall installation? Maybe a textured paint? Darker color?

Maybe you could use a block filler.
I know you said it's concrete, but block filler goes on fairly easy and expands slightly to fill the imperfections in blocks.
Maybe, it will work for you in this situation.

Other than that, the only way I know of to get a perfect finish on a wall like that is to glue drywall right over the concrete. Do a test to see if there is a moisture problem first, duct tape a piece of plastic to the wall (it needs to be the size of a plate or bigger), then after a day or 4, or a week, peel it off and look for moisture or dampness, discoloration, etc. on the wall.
If no trace of moisture, your options are wide open.
Slight moisture, try a sealer like UGL.
If the plastic is wet, find the problem.

The reason I suspect moisture is the fact that this wall was worse than the rest. Try the test, it may affect your decision of what to do.

Latest posts

Back