Wood Pellet Stove..

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorPlan

Reaction score
:)...Looking at Possibly installing a Wood Pellet Stove...One of the appealing features , the chimney is pretty much the same installation as a new gas stove or fireplace today.....The house is your typical matchbox style , finished basement and no wasted spaces...

The question is where to actually place the Stove to give a more overall heat to the house...The main source of heat is an Oil Furnace which is very efficient...That being said the price of furnace oil thanks to the Polar Vortex this Winter, last top up end of February was $1.22 a litre...lol...

The pallet stoves were very big around here about five years ago. Also people were burning corn in them. The price of the pallets went up I was told and so did corn. With a conventional wood stove you have lots more options as to what to burn. The last few years pallet size coal has been big also. Very clean it comes in bags just like the wood. Check with your insurance company before you buy and find out if it will effect your rates or if its allowed. They have been dropping people here heating with wood. I think it's total BS but they are doing it even out door hot water wood units.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

:)...Looking at Possibly installing a Wood Pellet Stove...One of the appealing features , the chimney is pretty much the same installation as a new gas stove or fireplace today.....The house is your typical matchbox style , finished basement and no wasted spaces...

The question is where to actually place the Stove to give a more overall heat to the house...The main source of heat is an Oil Furnace which is very efficient...That being said the price of furnace oil thanks to the Polar Vortex this Winter, last top up end of February was $1.22 a litre...lol...

A therm = 100,000 BTU of energy.

So, if 1.4 therms/gal is the heat value for your fuel oil and a liter is 0.264 of a gal so then it's 1.4 therms/gal x 0.264 gal/liter and the gals cancel out and it's 0.37 therms/liter.

0.37 therms/liter x 1 liter/$1.22, the liters cancel and it's 0.3 therms per dollar.

BTW, I get ~1 therm for each dollar that I spend on natural gas here at the 39th parallel.

You may want to figure out the difference between paying for wood pellets and it's efficiency, vs. your existing oil heat, for your area.

Don't forget
[ame]http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=us+canada+exchange+rate&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8[/ame]

Last edited:
Wrong kind of corn. We grow dent corn around here and lots of it. When the price dropped it was a lot of BTU per $ and the ones I have seen running gave comparable heat to wood pallets. Don't try canned cream corn. And 10% of our driving around is burning corn.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Back