Wooden post attach to brick wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccpyue

Reaction score
My backyard has a door. Its hinges attached to a 4"x4" wooden post, then is a smaller fixed wooden panel, and then attached to another 4"x4" wooden post to the brick wall (see picture attached). This 4"x4" post suppose should attached to the brick wall of my house, but I cannot see any nail or screw that do the job. Now, I found the wooden post is leaning outward (may be due to the heavy door) from the brick wall by about 1", and the door is having some problem to open and close now.

I need some expert advice, if I want to nailed or screwed the wooden post back to the brick wall, what kind of nail or screw that I should use? and what steps that I should take. Hope someone can help me out on this.

Thank you.

Post and Door (1).jpg

There is no "nail or screw" that would work.
I would have counter bored then drilled a hole for a sleeve bolt, then plugged or filled the bored hole.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Red-Head-3-8-in-x-3-in-Hex-Head-Sleeve-Anchors-15-Pack-11013/100025194

Good idea, but, this anchors must be very long because the post is already 4", plus, I may not be able to push the post tightly against the brick wall, the anchors should be at least 5.5" ~ 6".

If say is a type of screw, then, I can tightening the screw, at the same time, push the post toward to brick wall.

Good idea, but, this anchors must be very long because the post is already 4", plus, I may not be able to push the post tightly against the brick wall, the anchors should be at least 5.5" ~ 6".

If say is a type of screw, then, I can tightening the screw, at the same time, push the post toward to brick wall.

A couple galvanized angle brackets, screwed to the post and the brick so you don't need the length.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hilti-3-...l-Expansion-Anchors-20-Pack-3512301/204993006

I've done a few of these by using a piece of painted steel pipe as a spacer, then counter-boring the post to hide the head of the attaching screw (tapcon) or regular anchor bolt. If you want to get fancy, plug the bolt hole with matching wood. Looks great, works great, and if you're lucky you can find a pipe coupler fitting the right length ti fill the space saving you from sawing pipe.

Phil

If it is not attached to the brick now, then it must be supported from the ground. Perhaps a concrete base poured into a hole in the ground. Or it may just be buried directly. Can the post be moved if you lean on it? Any rot around the base of the post?

I tried to push the post but it is hardly move back. I think Slownsteady may be right. The post may be buried in the ground and hold with something like concrete. I may have to dig to find out before doing anything. Good suggestion.

Back