Wooden Siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

April

Reaction score
2D231992-8753-422F-A234-7D15E7E3264C.jpeg Hi! What is the name/type of wooden siding here? Home was built in 1900, they are two plank...also, where can it be purchased? Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure, but it looks like cedar clapboard.
Other wood species are also common.

It is installed similar to shingles on a roof.

Big box stores might carry it, or they certainly can order it.

There are many different widths, and thicknesses, and profiles, some are flat, some are thinner at the top edge, some have beveled edges, etc.

You can take off some of that metal corner trim to get a good view of how individual boards look.
Take measurements of width, thickness, shape, etc, and lots of pictures.

BTW, that bottom board resting on the ground might be rotted all around the house.
And is likely full of carpenter ants or termites or both.

You can replace those with solid pvc trim boards, which are paintable.

Or treated wood, but that will still suck up water, pvc will not.

F7AC1606-8693-4173-9B0F-32055D460C2C.jpeg ACB08E5B-DC3D-4D1F-A10C-E89131192EFB.jpeg As well as I can see behind the boards...

Last edited by a moderator:
You can measure the width top to bottom, after cleaning off paint or caulk.

You could take a small piece of stiff cardboard, tack it to that exposed end with a few small brads or thin nails, then trace the profile with a pencil.

To be able to show that to HD or a lumberyard to get the right style.

The wood replacement siding you need with the double face and the large bull nose is pretty specialized. I doubt you will find any matching at any of the big name builder / Home improvement centers. They may be able to order it for you or you could see if a company like Buffalo Lumber company who shows 3 different sizes of it on line could help you find a source. They have a min order amount of $2500 so that’s kind of out of your range I would think. At least you could print out their two profiles so you know what you are looking for they make a 1x6 and a 1x8 version. Here is a link.

http://www.buffalo-lumber.com/bevel-siding/

In the past I have went to an area on the house that isn’t noticeable like the back or far side and carefully removed the siding and then used it to make the repairs elsewhere on the house. Then replace that whole area with something that wont break the bank and I could get locally that was close. Maybe a plain taper siding. Sometimes you will find what you need that’s close and you can rip the width to match the revile on the rest of the house even if the form is different.

Yours doesn’t look real bad but looks like it has come un-nailed maybe you just need to clean it up refit it and nail it back up.

You don’t need to find the double board siding, single clapboard will be fine if the profile is close enough.

The double board stuff is just sold to be installed faster and easier.

You could always make that bottom edge round over with a belt sander, or a router table if you are skilled.

Of course there are dozens of methods of doing the repair and mine was heavily weighted to a restoration approach. The town I live in is filled with these circa 1800 homes and the vast majority of the ones that get worked on my own included get covered in fan fold insulation and vinyl siding. In today’s world almost no one wants to maintain a painted wood home. They are beautiful and they will also wear you down with work.

Piecing in straight cut siding with that contoured bull nose stuff is going to look bad even from the road. If it is anything like the ones I have had the bottom 4 feet take a beating along with the south side and of course the end cuts at the corners and around windows and door go first as no one keeps them sealed up.

Chances are there is no insulation in the walls or even sheathing on the outside. That air flow is what kept them going so long. 100 years is a long time though.

You can get little metal corner trim pieces that you can cut to length, to tack on over the corners for a better seal than just caulk.

Wood filler and caulk would match better.

Look for a house nearby that is a teardown, and see if you can pull off some siding if it looks similar enough.

Back