Wooden tiles help please?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morefire519

Reaction score
If I wanted to lay wooden tiles in an old building with uneven floors, could I use culk I stead of grout to allow for movement and make it easier to rip out in a year or two?

#1, You only need to post the question once.
#2, No that will not work!
The tiles will break, and the caulking will just make a mess of the tiles.
Fix the floor first, or use loose lay linoleum or rugs for temporary flooring.

#1 good to know [emoji23]
It's okay if the tiles break, that would add to the look I'm going for. Is there some other product that would be less messy that isn't as permanent as grout?

There are VC tiles that have a wood appearance, which are flexible enough to overcome some level of unevenness, and won't create a trip hazard.

Thank you and by the way, it's CAULK.

Thanks :) I didn't think you had even read what I wrote. I can't tell if you're offended and being passive aggressive or what, sorry if I offended you. [emoji1]

I read every word of every thread I participate in, as a courtesy to the poster.

I make my share of misinterpretations.

These are, marginally, international forums, and while opinions and advice may deviate from your specific interest, others may benefit.

Roger that. Do you know if there is such a product? I've googled it but google sent me to links to wooden tiles, laminate flooring, and linoleum. Nothing about grout or caulk..

Budget isn't the issue. You're not understanding and I guess I'm not making myself clear. I don't want my floor to look like cheap wood. I don't want laminate flooring. I purchased a beautiful cedar home that is quite old. It's foundation has settled and needs to be leveled at some point but it's not a priority. We are preparing for winter, building a barn for my alpacas, fencing off pastures, harvesting, and an adoption that are taking priority. I have purchased floral hand painted wooden tiles that I fell in love with. Normally I would just lay carpet until I was ready to have the house jacked up/leveled and then lay the tile properly but my dog got cancer in her mouth and has been bleeding and drooling a lot so I needed something easy to clean up. The floor is such a huge space and ties the whole room together. I'm sick of looking at the tattered brick patterned linoleum that currently resides in my home. I just want to lay my beautiful wooden tiles temporarily with caulk or perhaps silicone so I can feel put together now but remove it and do it right when my life is a little less hectic. So what I am asking is: will caulk last a year or two on wooden tiles in a living room? Is there some bulk white silicone product that I could use and if so what is it called? Money isn't an issue. It's time, life, priorities but a desire to feel comfortable and enjoy the beauty of my surroundings as I go through emotionally challenging times.

Are you talking about loose laying the tiles and putting caulk between them?

And then yeah, instead of grout I want to use something that's easy to remove

If your intent, then, is to simply lay over the existing, eventually remove and repurpose the tiles, then you have several options, 1 is any of the construction adhesives from LOCKTITE, another is any of the urethane adhesives. Were it I, I would not spread with a notched trowel, but dollop in each corner.

LOCKTITE comes to adhesion quicker than urethane.

Here are a couple;

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products.shtml

http://usa.sika.com/en/solutions_pr...-Covering-System/wood-flooring-adhesives.html

Last edited:
Grout, as is used on ceramic tiles.....would not even be considered by me.It will just ruin your wooden tiles. I suppose caulk would be usable, but again, it would be a pain to clean them off of the tiles when you want to do a more permanent installation. As far as adhering them to the floor is concerned, I think most adhesives are designed for permanence and that would mean trouble later on down the road.
My best advice is to save your valuable wooden tiles for when you can use them properly. You can get some inexpensive sheet vinyl for now, or even a low cost laminate that you won't mind ditching in the future.

Too bad about the dog...my sympathies.

Latest posts

Back